Warrensburg Fire Department to give fire demonstration

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The Warrensburg Fire Department will intentionally light fires to two structures in front of a live audience on Sept. 28 at 10:00 a.m. near the courthouse.  The demonstration will also be recorded for playback during the rest of the Burg Fest weekend with the burnt structures still in place for viewing.

“There’s nothing like the heat and smoke of a real fire to help adults and children understand just how fast a home fire is,” Fire and Emergency Prevention OfficerJeremy VanWey stated.  “With our side-by-side comparison, we can show both the danger of fire and the value of having a fire sprinkler system installed.”

This dramatic, yet safe, form of education has become increasingly popular with fire departments across the country.  Residents are able to see firsthand why a typical home fire becomes deadly in three minutes or less.

The Warrensburg Fire Department received one of only 25 grants nationwide from the nonprofit Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition through a federal Fire Prevention & Safety Grant.  This grant money, in addition to generous donations from Economy Lumber and Hardware of Warrensburg and Campbell Fire Protection of Harrisonville, will be used to build two side-by-side structures to simulate the room and contents of a typical home.  Each room will contain common furnishings, window treatments and a working smoke alarm.  Only one of the rooms contains a fire sprinkler.

“By providing this unique live fire comparison, people not only gain an appreciation for fire power, but they also realize what an incredible advantage it is to have a fire sprinkler system installed if fire breaks out,” says VanWey.

To learn more about this life-saving technology and see video clips that answer common questions, visit the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition’s website at www.homefiresprinkler.org.

For more information on the live fire demonstration, contact Warrensburg Fire Department at 660-747-9136 or visit www.warrensburg-mo.com.