Mo’s Activity Council hosts Mean Girls actor, Daniel Franzese

• Actor Daniel Franzese answers UCM student’s questions. During the Q&A Franzese answered questions about his life as an actor and time on set.

• Daniel Franzese meets with UCM students after the Q&A session. After the event, Franzese interacted with students while signing autographs and taking photos.

On March 20, Daniel Franzese, the actor who played Damien in the 2004 rendition of “Mean Girls,” visited campus for a Q&A, meet and greet and a showing of the movie. The event was sponsored by Mo’s Activity Council and allowed students to converse with Franzese while he “spilled tea” about behind-the-scenes secrets, movie magic, fashion choices and more while watching the film. 

“We knew that there was a lot of buzz around the new ‘Mean Girls’ movie musical,” said Kelly Ford, graduate assistant for Mo’s Activity Council. “So we thought what better time to bring him [Franzese] to campus.”

Students interested in film and performance were able to learn about Franzese’s experience as an actor, comedian and activist for the past 23 years. His work with movies like “Mean Girls” and “Bully” gave him knowledge on being an actor and filmmaking that students benefited from learning about. 

“I think [events like this], it’s a really touching way for college students to get to know people that are working in places they want to work,” freshman Regina Robinson said. 

In Franzese’s Q&A students asked him about his experience in acting, more specifically on the set of “Mean Girls.” He talked about his feelings toward the new renditions of the movie as his role as the “first Damien.”

“I think anything that I think is weird about the movie musical, I dealt with ten years ago when the musical came out so it’s kind of old to me now,” said Franzese. “It was very weird to see the musical, though, because this has become such a big part of my life. As you can imagine, it was weird to share it with somebody. But Grey Henson and Jaquel Spivey are incredible people.” 

After starring in “Mean Girls,” Franzese grew as a creator and learned many things from his fellow cast members. Franzese had many amazing experiences working alongside actors like Amy Poehler and Tina Fey, but he also gained meaningful and educational things to live by.

“You are better as an actor the day you finish the project than you were the day you started,” Franzese said. “So when you watch something that you’ve done you’re only as good as the day you booked it.”