Cadman wins gold with 2.23 m jump

Photo by Ellie Whitesell
: Dufu is practicing before the high jump event on April 12. He started jumping at 2.04 m and ended with an attempt at jumping 2.21 m but was unable to pass the bar.

University of Central Missouri student, Yamoah Cadman Evans Dufu competed in the high
jump for Ghana in the 13th African Games. On March 22, the senior jumped 2.23 m securing gold
and breaking Ghana’s previous high jump record.

Yamoah Cadman Evans Dufu jumps at the track and field meet on April 12. Dufu broke the Audrey J. Walton/Vernon Kennedy Field facitlity record for the high jump at 2.17 m. (Photo by Ellie Whitesell)

Dufu said he was lost in the moment, just enjoying the atmosphere. His feeling of winning at
this level is unimaginable.
“It was an overwhelming feeling,” Dufu said. “I couldn’t believe what I had just did, I mean I
went in with a winning mentality but then having achieved it, I was lost in the moment. Everyone
cheering for me, my family being there to support and all that, I was carried away.”
Dufu’s Grad Assistant Coach Christopher Goodwin was able to go with him to the event and
can vouch for the incredible environment.
“That was the best atmosphere of a sporting event I have ever been a part of,” said Goodwin. “I
had to keep him grounded in the initial stages… by the time he cleared 2.23 I was like, alright you
just go celebrate, and he did. Not only was he a competitor, he was an entertainer.”
Competing for one’s country is very seldom achieved by athletes, and is considered one of the
highest honors. Dufu not only represented his country, but his school. He also achieved a personal
record along with the win.
“I feel honored and proud representing my country and UCM too,” Dufu said. “First national
assignment, that’s every athlete’s dream and I’m living it already.”
The many hours of practice, weight training and mental preparation is grueling. Dufu said
everything he achieved is because of his faith and the support from his community.
“First of all it’s been God throughout this journey and secondly I have a good team around me
making sure I am doing the right thing,” said Dufu. “All the hard work and commitment comes
from these wonderful people around me and I love being a part of the Mules family.”
A journey like this does not come without bumps along the way. Goodwin was there to help
him along the way, providing support and guidance.

Dufu is preparing for the high jump event in the 13th African Games on March 22. Dufu took the gold by jumping 2.23 m and breaking the previous record. (Photo by Persis Ashley, submitted by Yamoah Cadman Evans Dufu)

“I think when it comes to those big opportunities and championships it’s the mental side that I
think matters more than the physical training,” said Goodwin. “It’s being that familiar face he can
look to for support and the confidence to keep moving forward.”
Dufu’s coaches have also played a huge role in preparing him for the African Games. He said
the lessons he has learned has molded him into a better athlete.
“In UCM we believe in quality and not quantity, I see drastic improvements after every simple
quality rep of exercises,” said Dufu. “The coaches and technical team are more focused on quality
workouts which makes them stand out and that has helped shape me as an athlete.”
Dufu’s career is far from over, as he has already started training again, in hopes of continuing a
winning streak at this year’s Outdoor Track and Field Nationals in Emporia, KS.
“We [are] working to grab every opportunity that comes my way, as we are still in the outdoor
season, I will still be doing my college sport,” said Dufu. “However, if I am called to go represent
my country again I will do that. But for now outdoor season, [then] nationals as they come up and
[then] go get a national title for UCM; and that’s my goal