UCM Celebrates a Y2K-Themed Greek Week

• Designed by Darby Mostaffa

• Designed by Darby Mostaffa

• UCM greek students stand outside Hendricks Hall waiting for the “May the best team win” competition to begin. The competition puts greek students against each other in a variety of different activities such as song guessing, balloon popping, and many others.

• UCM greek students prepare for their roll call. The roll call sees teams perform a chant they created so it can be judged and ultimately factored into the team’s scores.

• Competitors try to name a song with a similar word to the one playing. This was one of several music themed challenges with all of them using music from the early 2000s.

• Team Seven performs the step routine they have rehearsed for the past month. All teams have been working on a step routine since the challenge was announced in February.

• Team Six finishes off their step performance. These performances demonstrated how well the teams worked with each other as well as how well they could prepare themselves.

This year’s Greek Week celebration consisted of several events and competitions. Fraternity and Sorority Life hosted a Blood Drive and the team that participated the most was Team One, which consisted of Sigma Sigma Sigma, Tau Kappa Epsilon, and Alpha Phi Alpha. The event was very successful with 157 units of blood donated.

The Big Brothers Big Sisters Fundraiser was a recurring annual event, also won by Team One. FSL raised $11 thousand for the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Johnson County Missouri organization. As well as these two events, 493 letters were written by Greek life to elderly women and men in nursing homes around Warrensburg.

One of the most popular events during Greek Week was Games Day. Groups got together to compete against each other and win points for their group. A step show took place on Wednesday night with Team Four, which consisted of Alpha Phi, Farm House, Sigma Tau Gamma, and Omega Psi Phi, taking first place.