SGA to hold upcoming election

Changes proposed to Student Health Fee
Student Government Association Vice President, Dalton White, gives a presentation on upcoming changes to the organization’s structure . Members discussed changes to be implemented in the upcoming year. Photo by Braeden Sholes

SGA is composed of congresspeople, student representatives from every academic college, and Registered Student Organizations. Congresspeople representing UCM’s various academic colleges are elected to their positions. However, each RSO is allowed one congressperson to represent their interests in the legislative body, without the need to be elected.

SGA operates under a parliamentary procedure to pass bills and resolutions relevant to students. After legislation passes, it is sent for approval by University President Roger Best and the University Board of Governors.

“We like to think of it as the main backbone for change on campus,” Travis Barbour, SGA Elections Committee Chair said. In the upcoming election, students will also be asked to approve an adjustment to the parameters of the University Health Center student fee.

According to the University Health Center Student Fee Bill, “The current language of the legislation alongside the intent of the student body at the time the previous legislation passed prohibits student fee funding from being utilized for promotions and outreach.” The bill further proposes that the allowance of funds collected from the Student Health Center Fee be used for promotions and outreach for the Campus Community Health Center. Some students show support for the organization and its efforts.

Student Government Association members gather for their weekly meeting. The members of SGA listened to a presentation about an upcoming trip to Jefferson City. Photo by Braeden Sholes

“I think student government is beneficial for the student population because they are representing the students, campus and campus environment. I think it’s important to have a student government to have students representing students,” Joanna Curless, senior, said. Other students shared similar thoughts.

“I think this could be really important for students if they want to help students around campus,” Yanijah Allen, freshman, said.

Candidates will begin campaigning starting Apr. 2, leading up to the day of the election. The election will be held on Apr. 9 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Ballots will be sent to students via their school email.