"Get the Red Out" highlights start of UCM athletics season

WARRENSBURG, Mo. — The University of Central Missouri officially kicks off the 2013-2014 athletic season with the annual “Get the Red Out” street fair, along with the season-opening football game against Missouri Western on Thursday night and a country concert by the group Sawyer Brown on Friday night.
Mules football gets the 2013 season underway with a televised contest against sixth-ranked Missouri Western. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:07 p.m. at Walton Stadium/Kennedy Field, according to a press release. The “Get the Red Out” street fair will run Thursday from 4-6:30 p.m. on Holden Street between South and Clark Streets. There will be local organizations and vendors, as well as games such as the hoop shoot with Mules and Jennies basketball players, inflatable games for children and food items.
Mule Train donors are invited to the pre-game tailgate beginning at 5 p.m. in the Mule Train tailgate area located just west of Walton Stadium with food and beverage provided by Traditions Restaurant. Guests that are interested in joining the Mule Train may accompany members at a cost of $10 for adults and $5 for children. Non-Mule Train members wishing to tailgate may park in the “Mule Stable” lots north of the UCM Physical Plant. Responsible tailgating for those 21 and over begins in designated lots at 4 p.m. and concludes at the end of halftime. Fans are encouraged to go to UCMathletics.com to check out the tailgating map, which outlines the designated tailgate lots.
Fans are invited to greet the Mules football squad as they make their way to the field with the “Mule Walk” 15 minutes prior to the game. The team will walk south from the locker room down Washington Street behind Walton Stadium and into the South entrance of the stadium.
1450 KOKO, 98.5 The Bar and www.warrensburgradio.com will begin broadcast coverage on the UCM Sports Network at 5:40 p.m. The game is also being televised as the MIAA Television Network Game of the Week. The game will be broadcast live on KSMO-TV Channel 62 in the Kansas City area, including Warrensburg. Central Missouri’s KMOS-TV will replay the game on Sunday night at 10 p.m.
A concert by country music group Sawyer Brown will take place at the UCM Multipurpose Building at Friday night at 7 p.m. Special guest Chelsea Bain will open the show at 7 p.m. followed by Sawyer Brown. Tickets are on sale at the Multipurpose Building Box Office or by calling 660-543-4063. A free pre-concert student tailgate will place from 5-7 p.m. in the Multipurpose Building parking lot.