Fitness: Tips on taking care of your legs

Carla Mock
Carla Mock

By CARLA MOCK
(digitalBURG) – Do you avoid wearing shorts? Many people may feel reluctant to bare their legs for a number of reasons. There are a number of ways to take care of your legs – inside and out.

Carla Mock
Carla Mock

Exercise: If you want those sexy summer legs, you’ve got to exercise. Exercise is the key to shapely legs. There are no shortcuts. Running, walking and fun dance cardio activities can help shed extra pounds and build muscle to help you get the desired results you’re looking for.
Weight training and cardio: Find some fun cardio activities to participate in at least four times per week – walking, running, dance fitness classes. Try weight training exercises for sculpting your legs such as working out multiple muscle groups at one time, which makes it easier to target more muscles. Some of the best exercises for carving shapely legs can be done without weights. Freestanding exercises such as plea squats and walking lunges work just as well and have several more benefits. They work out several muscle groups and smaller stabilizing muscles. A good way to tone your legs is by climbing up and down the stairs. It’s worth all the effort to get those shapely stems. Sexy legs start with a nice shape and strong tone. No matter how tall you are, having well-toned leg muscles will give them the appearance of being longer.
Nutrition: Along with exercise, the right diet can do wonders for your legs. Cut down on saturated fats, fried foods and heavy desserts, and starchy foods such as breads and corn. Foods you may want to include in your diet are fatty fish, which are rich in omega 3 fatty acids. Omegas 3s have been reported to help maintain healthy circulation as well. Finally, stay hydrated and drink lots of water.
Carla Mock, ACE AFFA, is a certified instructor, registered yoga teacher and owner of The Stiletto Gym in Warrensburg and Lee’s Summit.