UCM Gallery of Art and Design hosts three exhibits

The University of Central Missouri’s Gallery of Art and Design presents three new exhibits planned for Feb. 21 through March 15.
The first exhibit is by Sarah Nguyen. She examines the fraternal relationship of brothers in a series of paintings that explore the blurring of identity that takes place within the structure of the family. Her unique method of painting in oils allows her to “deconstruct” a realistic image of her subject with linseed oil and turpentine into an abstract image, then reconstructing it to reach an ideal balance of the real and imagined. Nguyen’s exhibits opens in Gallery 115. An opening reception is planned for 3-5 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, in Gallery 115.
Matthew Shlian works in the nebulous area between art and engineering. As a paper engineer, his work is rooted in commercial art and print media. He is collaborating with scientists and researchers who are just now recognizing the practical connections between paper folding and folding in microscopic and nanoscopic scales. Shlian’s exhibit opens in the Outer Gallery.
The third exhibit involves gig posters. Juresko is a freelance artist and designer out of Richmond, Va. His work has been exhibited nationally, and he was featured in the PBS web-original series, “Off Book.” Slater, from Austin, Texas, has designed limited edition tour posters for artists such as Morrissey, The Strokes, Muse, Mars Volta, The Beastie Boys, Modest Mouse and Radiohead.
In conjunction with the opening of “Gig Posters: Adam Juresko and Todd Slater” in the Main Gallery, a screening of the film “Just Like Being There” is planned for 3 p.m. March 1 in Wood 100. The film’s director, Scout Shannon, and poster artist Eric Nyffeler of Doe Eyed in Lincoln, Neb., will attend.
The UCM Gallery of Art and Design, located at 217 E. Clark St., is open to the public, free of charge, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday, and noon to 4 p.m. Saturday when school is in session. For information about upcoming exhibitions, visit www.ucmo.edu/gallery, or contact the gallery at 660-543-4498.