“Xanadu”, the absurd and the heartfelt show by UCM Theatre

This semester, the University of Central Missouri’s Theatre Department put on the musical, “Xanadu”. This musical was filled with chaos, including a hilarious Australian accent, people on roller skates and a live band on stage for the entire performance.

After viewing the show I can confidently say that this show was very enjoyable. In the beginning, I remained very confused as I tried to dissect the plot of the show. Through this confusion, however, the crowd continuously filled with laughter, and by the end I was committed to the story. The show had very humorous moments, with people dancing on tables and silly accents, as well as touching moments, with a love story intertwined with the humor.

A unique part of this show was that one cast member was an alumnus, Richard Herman, who played Danny and Zeus. This was an exciting casting, and I wondered how it would feel having one cast member be outside of the age range and typical cast community. Despite these differences, Herman delivered a remarkable experience. He, truthfully, was my favorite character, just out of the enjoyment of the commitment. He danced and sang with a tie wrapped around his head, and was just as willing to play into the absurdities of the show as any other cast member. Quite the showstopper!

However, he was not unmatched in his energy, as the rest of the cast and production were incredible. From the beautiful built-out set, amazing voices and commitment to being on skates, each member of this cast and crew should be amazingly proud. No confusion of plot, or absurdities in the show, could even compete for attention compared to these actors.

Seeing this show only made me more excited to see the next one. Catch me front and center, for the showing of a twist on “Romeo and Juliet” for their showings throughout the weekend at the Highlander Theatre.