Home invasion suspect, homeowner killed in shooting

(ST. CHARLES, Mo., AP) — A suburban St. Louis homeowner and the man who allegedly broke into his home are both dead, and the homeowner’s son is injured, after all three men were shot during a scuffle early Monday.
Police said the suspect, in his 20s, broke into the St. Charles County home of Daniel Patrick Donovan, 53, before 4 a.m. Monday. The dead suspect has not been identified, and the name of Donovan’s son has not been released.
The suspect, armed with two guns, broke into the home and confronted a man and his girlfriend about drugs, police spokeswoman Val Joyner said. Donovan heard the commotion and intervened.
The altercation between Donovan and the suspect moved to the back yard, where another of Donovan’s sons joined in the fight. All three were shot during the scuffle, but police aren’t yet certain who fired the shots.
All three men were taken to a hospital, where the suspect died early Monday. Donovan died later in the morning. A condition report on the injured son was not immediately available. The son originally confronted by the intruder was not hurt.
Joyner said police believe it was a targeted crime and authorities are not searching for any additional suspects.
Drug paraphernalia was found in the home, police said, and the St. Charles County Drug Task Force is helping to investigate.
Police aren’t sure how the suspect got inside.