Home runs by Mabe, Rose send Jennies to Division II World Series

(SIOUX FALLS, S.D.) — Solo home runs by Lauren Mabe and Carlie Rose gave the 20th-ranked Jennies all the offense they needed in a 2-1 win over ninth-ranked Augustana on Saturday at Bowden Field.
With the win, the Jennies swept the best-of-three Super Regional series and advanced to the Division II World Series for the first time since 1994.
Augustana (53-11) got on the board first with a single run in the top of the first. Carly Peterson’s two-out single to right plated Sarah Kennedy to give the Vikings the early lead. AC still had two on with two-out, but Katie Shockley (27-6) got Jordan Schaffer to ground out to end the threat.
The Jennies (49-14) tied the game at 1-1 in the bottom of the second when Lauren Mabe belted a two-two pitch over the fence in right for a leadoff home run.
The Vikings threatened in the top of the third putting two runners on with two outs, but Karlee Koopman lined out to Ali Jo Rogers at shortstop to end the inning. Augie threatened again in the fourth with a one-out hit by pitch and a double to put runners at second and third with only one out. Carley Pickett hit a line drive to center field, but Makayla Schoonover made a running catch and then threw a strike to Rose at the plate to cut down Mackenzie Alstott who was trying to score from third to keep the game tied at one.
Rose gave the Jennies a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the fifth when she lifted a three-one pitch high over the wall in left for the Jennies’ second homer of the game.
Shockley set the Vikings down in order in the sixth, then pitched out of a tough jam in the seventh to secure the win. Augie had a runner on first and two outs when Kennedy hit a ball deep to left center. Schoonover got her glove on it at the wall as she was turning around but was unable to secure the catch. She quickly recovered and got the ball back to the infield to keep the runners at second and third with two outs. Following a four-pitch walk to Jenelle Trautmann, Peterson lifted a soft fly ball to shallow center where Rogers made a tough, sliding catch in front of Schoonover to send the Jennies to their first Division II World Series in 21 years.
Shockley had another solid outing, allowing just one run on six hits in a complete-game effort. In the two games of the Super Regional, she allowed one run on 10 hits in 14 innings of work against the high-powered Augie offense. Pickett (17-5) took the loss for Augustana after allowing one run on one hit in 3.2 innings of relief. Trautmann allowed one run two hits in 2.1 innings before moving over to first base.
With the win, the Jens also tied the school record for wins in a season with their 49th.
The Jennies will open Division II Championship play on Thursday, May 21 at 6:30 p.m. at ASA Hall of Fame Stadium in Oklahoma City against the winner of the East Region.