Trib-Review CEO Ralph Martin resigns to lead Civitas Media

(PITTSBURGH, AP) — Ralph Martin, the chief executive of the company that publishes the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, has resigned to become CEO of Civitas Media.

Martin told the Tribune-Review his expertise is in building groups of community newspapers and that his new position offers him an opportunity to do that.
Davidson, North Carolina-based Civitas publishes more than 100 dailies and weekly newspapers in 12 states.
Martin joined Trib Total Media in 2003 and became president two years later. Besides the Tribune-Review, the company publishes six other dailies and more than 20 weekly newspapers across western Pennsylvania.
Martin said he considered making a change following the death July 4 of Trib owner Dick Scaife.
“My relationship with Dick Scaife was one of the best and most rewarding with a publisher in my career,” he told the Tribune-Review.
At Civitas Media, he replaces Michael Bush, who announced late last year he was stepping down to pursue other opportunities.
Jennifer Bertetto, 38, was tapped to succeed Martin at the Trib papers. She has been the Trib’s vice president and chief operating officer since 2010.
“I am confident about the future and excited to lead the charge,” she said.
She joined the Trib in 1997 after graduating from the University of Pittsburgh. Her previous jobs included executive director of sales and retail advertising director.
Civitas has newspapers in Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.