Man set on fire, suffers serious burns

By ROB CURRY
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — A 29-year-old man suffered third- and fourth-degree burns to over 50 percent of his body after someone set him on fire Monday night.

Jason Eckes
Jason Eckes

The victim was doused with gasoline and set on fire during a confrontation with Jason Eckes, 41, according to a Warrensburg Police Department news release. Warrensburg Fire and Police departments responded to the fire at 11:25 p.m. at an undisclosed residence. The victim, whose name was not released, was transported from the scene by ambulance to a burn unit in Kansas City, Mo. Four children younger than 12 years old were at the home during the confrontation, according to the news release.
Officers arrested Eckes at approximately 10:30 a.m. Tuesday. During a police interrogation, Eckes admitted to dousing the victim with gasoline and setting him aflame, according to the probable cause statement. He is being held in the Johnson County Jail on a $250,000 bond on charges of first-degree assault, a class A felony, and four counts of first-degree endangering the welfare of a child, a class C felony.
The victim’s condition has not been released.
The case is a joint investigation with the Missouri State Fire Marshal’s Office, the Warrensburg Fire Department, the Warrensburg Police Department and the Johnson County Prosecutor’s Office.