Safety Center program manager honored for work to improve highway safety

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – Bob Welsh, program manager of the Breath Alcohol Instrument Training Program in the Missouri Safety Center at the University of Central Missouri, recently was honored by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration with the NHTSA Public Service Award.
Welsh was one of 12 individuals and organizations from across the nation honored at the 32nd annual NHTSA Lifesavers Conference in Nashville. The agency’s top public service award recognizes the efforts people make to advance highway safety throughout the country.
Welsh joined the staff of the Missouri Safety Center in 1987 and was a co-founder of the Breath Alcohol Instrument Training Program in 1989. As program manager, he supervises program staff responsible for the repair, recalibration and recertification of more than 350 breath alcohol testing instruments assigned to law enforcement agencies throughout Missouri. He personally has trained thousands of law enforcement officers in equipment supervision and operation, DWI detection, drug recognition, court demeanor and testimony, report writing and tactical police driving.
Welsh also is recognized as a leading expert in the area of synthetic drugs.
Welsh received a bachelor’s degree in law enforcement and sociology from the College of the Ozarks and a master’s degree in criminal justice administration from UCM.
“Safety is our top priority, and NHTSA has worked hard to reduce roadway fatalities to historic lows, but we can’t do this alone,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx. ‘These award recipients represent the full spectrum of dedicated public servants who help us improve safety each and every day across the country. We thank them for their service, for the difference they have made and the example they are setting for others.”