Officer involved in April shooting returns to duty, details still unknown

(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — The police officer who shot and killed a Warrensburg man during a narcotics raid on his home in April was cleared and has returned to work.
However, the results of an investigation on the shooting death conducted by the Missouri State Highway Patrol are not yet available.
“The Highway Patrol investigated the shooting and presented it to the county prosecutor,” said Police Chief Bruce Howey in an email to digitalBURG. “The prosecutor reviewed the Highway Patrol investigation and determined there are no criminal charges available or warranted for the shooting events. Our department concluded its internal investigation and concluded the officer’s actions were justified and within Warrensburg Police Department policy. The officer has returned to full duties.”
A police Special Emergency Response Team raided the home of Beau Appleton at 406 Ninth Street Terrace on April 18. The team entered the home with a search warrant, and Appleton allegedly fired a shotgun at the SERT team as they entered the residence. According to police, one officer returned fire, killing Appleton.
A news release reported that the officers seized an unspecified amount of narcotics, narcotics paraphernalia and firearms. The offenses listed in an incident report related to the raid list charges of intent to distribute marijuana, possession of a firearm by a felon and endangering the welfare of a child.
Details about the shooting, including any witnesses, who was home at the time of the shooting, what was seized at the home and details that led to the raid, have not been released.
A digitalBURG reporter first requested the investigation report from the Warrensburg Police Department but was told to request the report from the Highway Patrol.
The reporter requested the investigation report from the Highway Patrol in late August. The request was unmet after three days, which is the limit under the Missouri Sunshine Law, and the reporter was told to make an official Sunshine Law request.
After submitting an official request with the Highway Patrol on Sept. 5, digitalBURG received an automated response the next day that the request had been received. A disclosure at the bottom of the request form states: “Requests for records may take 20–30 business days to process due to the high volume of requests received.”
Howey declined to identify the officer who shot Appleton to protect the officer’s safety and security. Although the investigation into the officer’s actions has closed, Howey would not release any information because there are still pending criminal charges stemming from the incident and because there are juveniles involved in this case.