Burg Fest announces BBQ cook-off

Warrensburg, Mo. – The Burg Fest along with Elk Lodge 673 will be hosting a BBQ cook-off on Friday, Sept. 27 with meat inspection beginning at 5 p.m and judging will begin at noon on Saturday, Sept. 28, according to a press release.
Sign up times have been extended through Sept. 11 and the entry fee is $45. This event takes place the first day of the Burg Fest.
Bring your smokers and check in for the cook-off on Sept. 27 after 3 p.m. Competitors have seven categories available to choose from: beans, dessert, and chicken, an open option that must contain meat, pork butt, ribs-pork and brisket.  The Kansas City Barbecue Society Rules & Regulations will be used for this event although this is not a KCBS event.
Competitors can begin marinating at any time after the meat inspection on Friday and all meat used for the competition must be in its original packaging.  The Burg Fest BBQ cook-off will only allow charcoal or wood for cookers.  Propane and electricity are not allowed for cooking.
Participants may enter multiple categories in the cook-off.  You do not have to enter all of them!  The different categories will be judged in thirty minute intervals with beans beginning at noon on Saturday and the last category, brisket, at 3 p.m.
Submit your entry form no later than Sept. 11 to: Warrensburg Elks Lodge #673 Attn: Tom West. 822 E. Young Warrensburg MO 64093.  Please make check or money order payable to Warrensburg Elks Lodge 673.  Entry forms can be found on the Burg Fest website www.theburgfest.org.