Photo Gallery: Farmer's Market showcases local produce

• The Warrensburg Farmer’s Market is every Wednesday from 3:30-5:30 p.m. and every Saturday from 7:30 a.m. until sellout.

• About 15 vendors were in attendance at the Farmer’s Market Saturday, June 29.

• Ryan Cole gives Meryem Hampton, who traveled all the way from Whiteman Air Force Base, her red potatoes.

• Jason Beckner sells some peaches to the daughter of a fellow vendor.

• More than just produce is offered at the Farmer’s Market, including this handmade pottery by Elizabeth Socolofsky.

• Amy Kanney looks for the perfect peaches with her kids at Jason Beckner’s peach stand.

• Joyce Michael gets out some cash to pay vendor Jennifer Cole for the cucumbers and potatoes she just bought.

• The new location for the Farmer’s Market allows better parking and more space, which most vendors said has helped their sales.

Photos and story by NICOLE COOKE (digitalBURG) – Some people like to sleep in on Saturday’s, but others like to get some grocery shopping done first thing in the morning at the Warrensburg Farmer’s Market.
Held every Saturday from 7:30 a.m. until sellout, the Farmer’s Market is a popular spot for farmers looking to sell their products, and for customers who are looking to buy local.
Vendors Ryan and Jennifer Cole come almost every Saturday from Higginsville to sell their produce. Jennifer said they have a lot repeat customers, so they try their best to come each week.
“If we don’t come a week, we hear about it,” she said with a laugh.
The Cole’s made a repeat customer out of Joyce Michael, who came back for more cucumbers this week after she enjoyed last week’s “juicy” batch. Michael said she usually comes to the Farmer’s Market once a week because the produce she gets here lasts for a couple weeks, much longer than produce purchased at the grocery store.
“I come because you know what you’re getting is fresh and local,” she said. “And it’s a pleasant way to spend an hour on Saturday morning.”
Relationships have clearly been formed, as most vendors could be seen joking and having conversations with their customers. Some asked how their families were doing or commented on how nice the weather was for the market. Others, like Warrensburg Main Street Director Julie Turnipseed and Jennifer Cole, discussed recipes for the veggies Turnipseed was buying.
Jason Beckner has many of those relationships with his customers, which have grown over the 15 years he has been a vendor at the market. Either Beckner or one of his three kids sells peaches every Wednesday and Saturday.
The market was previously at the parking lot on the corner of Gay and Holden streets, but moved this year to the courthouse. Beckner said he’s had people who’ve bought his produce for 10 years, but the new location has also brought some new faces.
“I think this brings the community together. That’s what I love about it,” he said. “I’m proud of the market and I’m proud of what I do. It’s what this country is built on – being proud of what you do.”
Customer Amy Kanney and her kids purchased some of Beckner’s sun glory peaches, which go for $5 a quart. His family’s farm in Wellington, Mo., has 16 varieties of peaches, and he said the harvest lasts from about June 1 to Sept. 1.
Kanney said she comes almost every week, and tries to bring her kids with her every time.
“We’re friends with people here and the market has a friendly atmosphere,” she said. “I also like the quality of food. It’s all fresh, and the baked goods are wonderful.”
The Kanney family headed to Old Drum Bakery for muffins after their shopping was finished. She said it has become a Saturday tradition.
“My 12-year-old woke me up early this morning, earlier than I had planned, to come to the market,” she laughed. “It’s a pretty good sign that they enjoy themselves when we come here.”
The Cole’s and Beckner had successful mornings. By 8:30 a.m. the Cole’s had sold about half the produce they brought with them, including all of their cabbage, beets and green beans. Just before 10 a.m., Beckner packed up his tent and table after selling all 12 boxes of peaches.
The Warrensburg Farmer’s Market is held every Wednesday from 3:30-5:30 p.m. and every Saturday from 7:30 a.m. until sellout on the lawn of the downtown courthouse. Vendors of all types are welcome, including farm-grown produce, baked goods and crafts.
Vendor applications are available at Warrensburg Main Street, located at 111 N. Holden. For more information, contact the office at 660-429-3988 or [email protected].