UCM athletics broadcasting honored by AVCA

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The American Volleyball Coaches Association recently honored Central Missouri Athletics, the UCM Media Network and KMOS TV for their efforts in broadcasting Jennies volleyball during the 2012 season.
The trio was honored as a finalist for the 2012-13 AVCA Grant Burger Media Award. They were chosen as the winners in the broadcast category.
The group was honored for the quality of its video and radio broadcasts online as well as in-game entertainment, according to a news release. They produced an online video webcast for each home match during the 2012 season with selected games also being carried on 1450 AM KOKO and warrensburgradio.com. In addition, they provided instant replays and fan interaction through the new four-sided video board.
“The students received great ‘real life’ experience and class credit in many cases,” said UCM head volleyball coach Flip Piontek in a news release. “In turn, our program received high major Division I quality video board production, television-like webcasts and big matches on our local hometown radio station. If the purpose of the award is to increase awareness of the sport of volleyball through the broadcast platform, this group certainly did that in a big way and we are very grateful as a program.”
In addition, the Central Missouri Athletics Media Relations office of Mike Knipper, assistant athletic director for Media Relations, volleyball contact Greg Gorham and graduate assistant Ryan Anderson were honored as the Division II Central Region Volleyball Sports Information Directors of the Year.