A dozen Central track and field athletes gear up for national meet

By JASON STRICKLAND
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — Ten individuals and a 4×400 meter relay team will compete in the NCAA-II Outdoor Championships Thursday through Saturday in Pueblo, Colo.
Seniors Brent Vogel and Carl McCargo will each make their third appearance in the outdoor championships.
Vogel qualified for the decathlon, which is the event he won in 2011, and finished third in 2010.
“Brent Vogel has been here a lot of times, so we expect him to compete well,” said co-head coach Kip Janvrin.  “And he will have his best meet of the season by far I would think.”
McCargo qualified in the javelin this year, after competing in the decathlon the previous two seasons.
He has struggled with injuries his entire career, and was unable to compete in the decathlon at all this season.
“I’d like for him to go out with a big throw and possibly to be an All-American because he’s talented enough to have that type of thing happen for him,” Janvrin said.
His throw of 200-3 earned him a second-place finish at the MIAA Championships and the national qualification. The winner of the event was teammate Chris Swearingin, who is one of five central freshmen who will compete at the championships. Swearingin had a throw of 209 feet, which is a UCM record. The other freshmen are Meelis Siimson in the long jump, Kellin Loch in the 800-meter run and 4×400 meter relay, Daniel McCarty in the 4×400 meter relay and Victoria Jackson in the heptathlon.
“We have a bunch of young kids this year, and they had some big shoes to fill from day one,” Janvrin said. “We just weren’t as deep as we’ve been some years. A lot of those kids have stepped up and I’m proud of the accomplishments they’ve made.”
Janvrin said the athletes’ grade level doesn’t necessarily mean a whole lot.
“At this point, when we get to the national meet, it doesn’t matter if you are a freshman or a senior or whatever, it’s just a matter of how well you compete,” he said.
Swearingin’s sister, Brooke, who is a junior, will compete in the discus. Senior Khaldon Evans will compete in the 4×400 meter relay. Juniors Zoe Sharplin, Mary Riley and Devin Claypool will compete in the heptathlon, javelin and high jump, respectively.