Jennies Softball swept by Gorillas in regular season finale

(PITTSBURG, Kan.) – Jennies Softball (24-22, 14-14 MIAA) found themselves on the wrong end of an MIAA doubleheader sweep at Pittsburg State (28-20, 16-12 MIAA) Monday afternoon, falling in game one 2-0 and game two 11-2.
Game one was a defensive battle for both teams until the bottom of the sixth inning when the Gorillas were able to plate two runs and take a 2-0 lead on a pair of singles.
The Jennies were retired in order in the top half of the seventh by Pittsburg State pitcher Kyndel Shelburn to end the game.
The Jennies were held to just three hits in the first contest compared to five by the Gorillas.
Megan Schallom took the loss in the circle for the Jennies to drop her record to 2-8 overall. The St. Louis, Mo. native struck out three but walked four and allowed both Pittsburg State runs.
Game two started out similar to game one with neither team able to score until later in the game. Unfortunately for the Jennies, it was the Gorillas bat’s that came alive once again as they plated six runs in the bottom of the fourth and another five in the fifth while the Jennies could only manage two runs in the top half of the fifth, giving the Gorillas the 11-2 win.
The Jennies two runs in inning five came courtesy of solo home runs from Jill Lucas and Ashlea Bengtson. The round-tripper’s were Lucas’ third and Bengtson’s fourth of the season.
The Jennies offense was stymied again in game two as they could only muster three hits compared to 15 from the Gorillas.
Jessica Wilkes suffered the loss for the Jennies in the circle, falling to 7-4 overall. She pitched 3.1 innings and struck out three while walking two but allowed four earned runs.