Greek Life: trying to look beyond the myths

Story by Nicole Cooke, Copy Editor—
    Nicole 2As a student who spent the first semester of her college career unaffiliated with the Greek community, I understand that there are stereotypes that go along with fraternities and sororities.
    They party and drink heavily, they don’t put much of an emphasis on grades and they joined just to have a good time.
    As a student who has spent the last seven semesters of her college career as a proud member of Sigma Kappa Sorority, I try to prove those stereotypes wrong. I go to parties, not because I’m Greek, but because I’m a college student living in Warrensburg. I may not have a 4.0 GPA, but I try my hardest in all my classes and have been on the Dean’s List.
    I joined Greek Life to meet new people, to become more involved and to have dozens of sisters that would be there for me no matter what.
    I got all of those things, and a lot more.
    I got the opportunity to hold several positions within my chapter, including being on the executive board for two years. I’ve helped numerous people with my involvement in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s each year and visits to the nursing home.
    I pursued a potential job with Sigma Kappa National Headquarters, which I unfortunately didn’t get, but being a Sigma Kappa means enough to me that I would want to work for the organization.
    Many people see Greeks as a group of people who only associate with each other and party all the time. I don’t see it that way. Greek Life gives you a life-long bond with your sisters or brothers that is unlike any other.
    Greek Week ended on Monday and it’s a prime example of what we do. We had fun as we came together to compete in events, such as tug-of-war or the step show.
    As a community, we donated more than $6,000 to the Blaine Whitworth, Go Big or Go Home Fund, a cause that means a lot to the UCM community.
    Ten chapters were recognized for having a GPA above the all-men’s and all-women’s averages.
    As a student who has been on both sides of the Greek community, I get it. I know where you’re coming from when you make fun of Greeks, but there’s more to us than meets the eye.
    Being Greek has made a huge impact on my life, and I’m sure all my sisters would say the same. It goes further than your four years in college.
    I plan on being an adviser, as well as joining an alumnae chapter. I want to help other chapters, as my advisers helped me. I want to give back to the organization that gave so much to me.