Fashion show to initiate UCM's Earth Day 365

(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) – The Haute Trash Fashion Show kicks off the University 
of Central Missouri’s Earth Day 365 celebration, a week filled with sustainable activities. The fashion show of outfits made entirely out of recycled materials will begin at 7 p.m. Monday, April 22 on Pine Street in downtown Warrensburg.
There will be a live band, art show and snacks 
provided at discounted prices by local restaurants starting at 6 p.m. The band, Luehrman, Shaffer and 
Check, will perform while guests view the art show displayed along the sidewalks 
featuring pieces of recycled artwork from local students. Throughout the evening, 
downtown restaurants will offer food at tables set up outside for easy access to guests. Opening remarks will begin at 6:45 p.m. by UCM Provost and Chief Learning Officer Deborah Curtis and Warrensburg Mayor Don Butterfield.
The University of Central Missouri’s fashion merchandising department acquired many of the outfits appearing in the fashion show from designers in Los Angeles, Calif. Some of the fashion students will be designing their own pieces to be showcased on the runway.
“This is a great opportunity for UCM fashion majors to help produce a fashion show,” said Melissa Abner, a fashion merchandising instructor. “Donna Bodenhamer (UCM director of student accounts and loans, and Earth Day 365 committee member) and the ladies from the Haute Trash organization are very good about letting the fashion students help and feel like they have a large contribution to the look and outcome of the show. We also have a growing number of UCM fashion students submitting designs this year.”
This is the first year the fashion show will take place outside..
“We are so excited to have the show outside for the first time this year,” Abner said. “I think it will be a great kickoff to Earth Day 365.”
If there is inclement weather, the fashion show will be moved to the Elliott Union Ballroom.
The Haute Trash Fashion Show is part of UCM’s Earth Day 365 celebration April 22-27. Daily events and workshops will give members of the UCM and Warrensburg communities the opportunity to learn more about living a sustainable lifestyle. For more information about Earth Day 365 contact Steven Boone at 660-543-8209. For a full schedule of events visit ucmo.edu/EarthDay365.