Mules Baseball sweeps doubleheader at Henderson State

(ARKADELPHIA, Ark.) – The seventh-ranked Mules baseball team went on the road and swept a non-conference doubleheader from Henderson State on Saturday afternoon.
UCM rallied from a three-run deficit to win the opener 8-7 before taking the nightcap 9-2 at Clyde Berry Field to complete the sweep.
Henderson State (20-14) broke a scoreless tie with three runs in the bottom of the third to grab the lead in game one.
The Mules (23-6) got on the board in the fourth with pair of runs. Kevin Gratza had an RBI sacrifice bunt to get UCM on the board and Seth Wheeler added an RBI single. The Reddies scored one run in the bottom of the inning on a Tadarius Hawkins RBI single to push the lead back to 4-2.
Central Missouri gained a run back in the fifth on a Kyle Grieshaber RBI double, but HSU scored two runs in the sixth to push the lead back to 6-3.
UCM picked up a run in the seventh on a Chase Graskewicz sacrifice bunt to pull within 6-4, but the Reddies answered with a run of their own in the bottom of the frame to lead 7-4.
Central Missouri rallied to tie the game with three unearned runs in the eighth then took the lead in the ninth. Brad Wilson drew a one-out walk in the ninth and scored on John Oropeza’s double down the left field line to give UCM an 8-7 lead. Andrew Urban allowed a pair of infield hits in the ninth, but got Michael Schell to ground out with the tying run on third to earn his third save of the season.
Zach Davis (1-1) earned the win in relief. He allowed one run on one hit in 2.1 innings of action. Starter Travis Higgs allowed six runs, four earned, on eight hits in 5.2 innings. He walked two and struck out five.
Jordan Wright (2-1) took the loss for the Reddies after allowing four runs, only one earned, on three hits in two innings.
The Mules took an early 2-0 lead in game two with a pair of runs in the second. Wheeler had an RBI single and Trevor Jones added a sacrifice fly for UCM. Henderson State scored one in the bottom half on an Andrew Reynolds RBI single.
The lead stayed at 2-1 until the sixth inning when the Mules broke out for four runs and a 6-1 lead. John Oropeza stole home to bring in the first run of the inning. Jon Cotter singled home two more runs to make it 5-1 and Graskewicz added an rBI single. The Reddies got one run back in the bottom half to make it 6-2.
The Mules added two more runs in the seventh extend their lead to 8-2. Brad Wilson scored on a throwing error by the HSU catcher on a double steal and Gratza scored later in the inning on a wild pitch.
Central Missouri added another run in the ninth to make it 9-2. Domingue reached on a fielder’s choice to score Gratza and give the Mules a seven-run lead.
Kurtis Schuyler (3-2) got the win for UCM after allowing two runs on five hits in 5.2 innings. He fanned six and walked just one. Jake Heissler pitched 3.1 innings of two-hit relief to pick up his third save of the season.
Austin Coble (6-2) took the loss for the Reddies after giving up six runs on 10 hits in 5.2 innings.
The Mules go for the series sweep Sunday with a single nine-inning game at 1 p.m. at Clyde Berry Field.