Mules baseball to open MIAA play in Kansas

Story by ALEX AGUEROS, for The Muleskinner—
    After winning three of four games in Houston to start the season, Mules baseball travels to Hays, Kan. to open conference play against Fort Hays.
    Central will play a doubleheader Saturday, and a single game Sunday. The team hopes to maintain momentum from the Houston tournament.
    “We want to continue to prepare for the rest of the season and have the team understand our style of play,” head coach Tom Myers said.
    The tournament also offered some notable performances that the team hopes will continue into MIAA play. Senior Kyle Grieshaber collected seven hits, including two home runs.
    Senior Chris Fitzpatrick tossed five and two-thirds innings and earned the win against Abilene Christian, allowing one run on five hits and no walks.
    “I just went out and tried to give the team a chance to win,” Fitzpatrick said. “The guys behind me made a lot of great plays.”
    While pleased with the win, Fitzpatrick knows there’s room for improvement.
    “As the season goes on, I want to go further in games and keep my pitch count low,” Fitzpatrick said. “I try to get batters out in three pitches or less, and go out hoping to throw a complete game.”
    Offensively, the Mules finished off the tournament in Houston on a strong note, scoring 20 runs on 32 hits. Myers knows the team will only progress.
    “Once guys get on the same page and we finish games off, we’ll be just fine,” Myers said.
    Fort Hays has this week’s MIAA Players of the Week with senior pitcher Tayler Davis and junior outfielder Clayton Garland.
    Despite the awards, Myers is more focused on his own baseball team.
    “We don’t typically concern ourselves with the opponents,” Myers said. “I know they have a lot of returners, but I think our team will be prepared.”
    Saturday and Sunday’s action starts at 1 p.m.