PGSA: Connecting students interested in graphic technology

Story by TAZ HALL , for The Muleskinner—
    As an eager Mule or Jenny, have you ever found yourself wishing for an opportunity to get more hands-on experience with what is taught in class? UCM has several extra-curricular groups that can help you do just that. Among these, one club in particular is largely popular not only with its own members, but also with many of the other organizations on campus.
    The Print and Graphics Student Association, better known as PGSA, is known around the University for printing shirts for the Photo Society, the Student Nursing Organization, and other groups at UCM. The club is comprised primarily of graphic technologies, graphic design, and photography majors, but is open to anyone with an interest for graphics. Membership for the club is only $7.50 and lasts for a year.
    When asked how members can benefit from the club, PGSA president Andrew McBride said that members gain “exposure to a wider variety of graphic reproductions.”  While PGSA is most popular for their printing, members have also been known to go on tours of print companies and graphic manufacturers, as well as doing volunteer work at Kaleidoscope with kids. “It’s a rewarding club to be a part of,” said treasurer Alyssa Winkelman. “Students should join PGSA because it is a wonderful opportunity to meet a variety of students and learn how to screen print. Plus, it is always fun to see organizations around campus wearing the shirts we printed ourselves.” The club has four officer positions; president, vice president, treasurer and production manager. Elections for each position are held annually. Three of the four officers are graduating in May, so PGSA will be looking for new students to get involved.
    The club meets every other Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. in Grinstead 107. The next meeting will be held Wednesday, Feb. 6. For students who are interested in getting involved sooner, the club is printing 70 shirts for the Student Nursing Organization in Grinstead 119 today. Printing will start at 8 a.m. and will last all day. If you are interested in helping print today, bring clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty. For more information find PGSA on Facebook or contact an officer.