Mules, Bearcats battle atop MIAA

Senior guard Reggie Stallings and the Mules basketball team host Northwest Missouri State Saturday. (Photo by ANDREW MATHER, Photo Editor)

Story by ALEX AGUEROS, for The Muleskinner—
    Mules basketball hosts conference rival Northwest Missouri State Saturday at 3:30 p.m. More than just bragging rights ride on Saturday’s game, as both teams are atop the MIAA standings with the Mules ranked No.1 and the Bearcats No. 2.
    Knowing the pressures of being a top-conference team, head coach Kim Anderson goes into Saturday with a game-by-game attitude.
    “Every game is important,” Anderson said. “Especially when you’re in first place and you’re trying to maintain a lead. The league is pretty balanced, so I always think the next game is the most important game.”
    Last year, Central swept the season series against Northwest, but shared the top MIAA spot with the Bearcats and Washburn. This year, the game is personal for the players.
    “We always approach each and every single game as the same, but deep down in our hearts we want to beat them really bad,” senior guard Reggie Stallings said. “Especially because of the way they won (the conference) last year.”
    Stallings also recognizes the conference impact the game will have.
    “They’re a tough opponent, and they’ve defeated tough opponents in the MIAA,” Stallings said. “A win against them would definitely put us up there as No. 1.”
    Even with a rivalry like the Mules and Bearcats, Anderson still has respect for Northwest.
    “They’re one of the best teams in the league,” Anderson said. “They have a strong inside game and we have to be able to handle their big guys. It’s definitely going to be a tough game.”
    With a game that looks to be a difficult challenge to retain the top spot in the MIAA, coach Anderson hopes the atmosphere will be as electric as ever.
    “Our games with Northwest have always been highly competitive, and we’ve always had good crowds for those games,” Anderson said. “We’ve been on the road for a week and been in some hostile environments, and I think we could use our own hostile environment.”