Homecoming Parade Brings Spirit to the Streets

UCM Community Celebrates in Homecoming Parade

On Oct. 15, hundreds of people sat along the sidewalks of Warrensburg at 9 a.m. for the University of Central Missouri’s 2022 Homecoming Parade. For the community, the parade was a way to show support, kill time before the football game or simply get loads of free candy. But what does it mean for those who woke up at 7 a.m. or earlier in near-freezing temperatures to prepare for the parade?

For Respecting Individual Skills and Efforts, an organization that seeks to help people with developmental disabilities, it was about teamwork putting their trailer together and getting involved with the community. 

“It helps our individuals be inclusive, we really strive for that community inclusion,” Rachel Taylor, Human Resources Director for RISE, said. “We had a lot of our individuals helping and we’re showcasing them on the blocks in the back of the trailer.” 

Sophomores Julia Fitch and Hannah Scheulen with the Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority said that being part of the parade was important to showcase their effort.

“We worked really hard on our float,” Scheulen said. “It just means a lot to show off our hard work and how much we put into this.”

Early morning temperatures dipped as low as 32 degrees, yet Fitch and Scheulen agreed the weather was much better than previous years. Many preparing for the parade echoed the thought, including Bethlehem Lutheran Church Trustee Ben Smith.

“As frosty as it’s been in past years, I’ll take it,” Smith said. “Guess we got off easy.”

It almost always rains before the event, that’s what makes it so cold, according to Smith.

Starting earlier than 6 a.m. for some, the entire staff from the Office of Student Activities was present to manage the event. Members of the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps on campus also helped the staff direct parade traffic.

“From our vantage point, we don’t ever really get to enjoy the parade, we’re doing it for everyone else,” Assistant Director of Student Activities, Leadership and Development Christina Kerns said. “We don’t really get to see it in full force since we’re just constantly pulling folks. So, we’re making it happen and hope other people are enjoying it.”