Warrensburg girls go winless in the Rolla Tournament

By JASON STRICKLAND
(ROLLA, Mo., digitalBURG) — The Warrensburg Lady Tigers finished the Rolla Tournament 0-3 after losing to Newburg 43-35 in the seventh-place game Saturday morning.
Senior Taylor Geis, junior Patience Fleak and sophomores Mac Cunconan and Anna Huff were unavailable for the game, so freshmen Kayla Woolen, Karla Woolen and Lauren Strangel became key players for the Lady Tigers.
“I’m really proud of what the freshmen did,” said coach Bob Rickman. “We scored 35 points and those freshmen counted for 20 of the 35.”
The Lady Tigers (2-9, 0-1 WCC) were without sophomore Jessica Tilller and Senior McKayla Wilbanks for the entire tournament. Rickman said Tiller is being evaluated by doctors, but said her injury is probably a stress fracture. Wilbanks was out because of sickness.
Warrensburg was up 29-23 against Newburg after three quarters, but were outscored by 14 points in the fourth to lose its fifth straight game.
The Lady Tigers struggled in the second half throughout the tournament. They were only down five at the break against Rolla to begin the tournament, but lost 68-49. On Friday, Warrensburg was up by one against Houston at halftime, but lost 49-39.
Geis combined to have 30 points in those two game, while junior Bekka Strahle combine for 20. Strahle also had nine against Newburg.
Next up for Warrensburg is the Lotspeich Motors Central Missouri Shootout on Jan. 5. The Lady Tigers will play Oak Grove in the Multipurpose Building on the UCM campus.
Rickman explained what he wants to do in preparation for the game.
“We want to simplify things and make sure that we are on the same page about a few things,” he said.