Community emergency response team to have classes

Classes for the Community Emergency Response Team begin November 7th. The training is provided at no cost to the participants.
The classes teach how to safely respond to manmade and natural hazards, help organize basic disaster response and promote preparedness by hosting and participating in community events, according to a news release sent by Johnson Co Emergency Management.
The Community Emergency Response Team program educates volunteers and the public about disaster preparedness for the hazards that may impact their area and train them in basic disaster response skills such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization and disaster medical operations.
CERT offers a consistent nationwide approach to volunteer training and organization that professional responders can rely on during disaster situations, which allows them to focus on more complex tasks. Through CERT, the capabilities to prepare for, respond to and recover from disasters is built and enhanced.
The CERT program was designed as a grassroots initiative and specifically structured so the local and state program managers have the flexibility to form their programs in the way that best suits their communities.
CERT volunteers and the public are trained to respond safely, responsibly and effectively to emergency situations, but they can also support their communities during non-emergency events as well. There are over 2,700 local CERT programs nationwide, with more than 600,000 individuals trained since CERT became a national program, according to the news release.
For more information or to register call David Harbor at 660-74-2666.