Jennies close regular season with win over Ft. Hays

(HAYS, Kan.)Junior hitter Taylor Goodness knocked down a career-high 22 kills in Central Missouri’s four-set victory at Fort Hays State, 25-19, 25-22, 20-25, 25-14.
The Jennies finish the 2012 regular season with a 24-5 record, and a 16-2 record in the MIAA.
The Jens took control early in the opening set, taking an 8-3 lead over the first 11 points. Goodness picked up her first two kills during the run, while freshmen Annie Reilly and Mikalee Monachino each recorded a service ace.
The UCM lead grew to 10 points at 15-5, following five straight points for the Jennies, three of which came off of kills from Carly Sojka. Fort Hays State made a late run, closing to within three at 22-19, but the Jens closed out the set  by scoring on the final three points, taking the win on a FHSU attack error at set point.
Things were much closer in the second set, as both sides traded leads in the early points of the game. With the Tigers ahead 9-8, Central Missouri scored four straight points to claim a 12-9 lead, the largest advantage by either team at that point in the set.
Fort Hays State came back to within one point with a service ace at 19-18. The Jens put the set away with a 5-1 run, however, setting up set point at 24-19. The Tigers held off three set points before Goodness gave UCM the win with a kill at 25-22.
After a 3-3 start to the third set, Central Missouri took charge with a 7-1 run to earn a 10-4 advantage, and looked on their way to a straight-set victory.
Fort Hays State took a 5-1 run of their own, however, pulling to within two points at 11-9. The Tigers pulled even with a kill at 16-16, and used a quick three point to take a narrow 19-17 lead, using a pair of Jennie attack errors to build the two point advantage.
Fort Hays took control of the set the rest of the way, finishing on a 6-2 run to close out the win at 25-20.
Coming off a third set in which UCM committed 12 attack errors and recorded a .022 hitting percentage, the Jennies responded in a big way in the fourth, hitting for .548, with 19 kills and only two attack errors.
The Jennies scored on the first six points of the set, and eight of the first 10 for a 10-2 lead. Later in the set, the Jens reeled off five straight points, with back to back kills from Goodness, and three straight kills from Lisa Moore, turning a 15-9 UCM lead into a 20-9 advantage, putting the match out of reach.
Peniston knocked down the final point of the regular season with her seventh kill of the day to take the 25-14 win.
Goodness’ 22 kills is her highest total since her 19-kill performance at Missouri Western last season. Sojka and Moore also finished in double figures, with 14 and 12 kills respectively.
Defensively, Reilly led the team with 19 digs, while fellow freshmen Monachino (10) and Sara Rooney (11) also finished in double-digits. Sojka recorded her 10th double-double of the year, picking up 16 digs in the win. Setter Julia Bates reached the 50-assist mark for the seventh time this season, with 53 helpers.
With the win, the Jennies are locked into the No. 3 seed for the upcoming MIAA Tournament. Depending on results around the rest of the MIAA, the Jens will host either Northwest Missouri or Emporia State in the first round of the conference tournament.
The post-season match is set for Tuesday, Nov. 13 at the UCM Multipurpose Building.