UCM takes steps to prevent suicide

By JIEUN HONG
Reporter
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — More than 240 UCM campus members gathered on Saturday in front of the Ward Edwards Building to raise awareness of suicide prevention.

April Roller, student chapter president of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, organizes the Out of the Darkness Walk every year to spread awareness of suicide prevention. After losing her husband to suicide three years ago, Roller started the Out of the Darkness Community Walk. This year, she decided to bring it to the UCM campus.

“What happened here today, people were given hope and given love. And they were inspired to reach out to others,” Roller said.

Groups of people walked around the UCM campus, circling from the Ward Edwards Building and back. The UCM Rainbow Tones performed in front of the Ward Edwards Building while people walked around campus. UCM students and their families participated in Saturday’s walk. Erin Peters, a senior interior design major, said she and her children came to walk in support of her friend Roller.

Peters said she thought this walk would give her children the opportunity to learn about suicide awareness and how to ask for help.

“Everybody has problems,” Peters said. “I think it’s important for children to know that it’s OK to look for opportunities where they can support a good cause and know that there are opportunities and outlets for help.”

Jennifer Sanders, sophomore dietetics major, came to the campus walk for a friend and fellow student who committed suicide.

“I would hope that it would raise more awareness for the situation and obviously money for the research,” Sanders said.

Roller said the walk went well because event volunteers were able to help people and touch a lot of lives.

“There were a lot of tears,” she said. “It definitely wasn’t easy.”

Roller said the university publicly recognizing mental health issues on campus is an effective step toward suicide awareness and prevention.

If you or anyone you know is struggling with suicidal thoughts, contact April Roller at 816-258-3502 or [email protected].

The UCM Counseling Center urges students, faculty and staff to contact 911 or public safety at 660-543-4123 if they know of someone who may be possible suicidal.