'Make-A-Wish' come true

By ALI OVERSTREET
Reporter
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — The Panhellenic Hall Council and Interfraternity Council are partnering to help make wishes come true for children who suffer from life-threatening illnesses.
The UCM Fraternity and Sorority Life staff decided to be part of Make-A-Wish’s University Fundraising Program. The groups hope to raise $5,000 by creating a Wish Wall – an area set up with a large backdrop and sheet where people can donate money, pin their own star to the wall and make a wish.
The event is scheduled for 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 19-21 in the Elliott Student Union.
“Make-A-Wish is a great program that is donated to regularly and I believe that it is wonderful that my own school is getting involved in such an amazing cause,” said Alyssa Piecko, a sophomore who plans to participate in the Wish Wall.
All donations from UCM go into a wish bucket that Make-A-Wish distributes to different children who are waiting for their wishes. Universities do not sponsor one specific child, but the children as a whole will be from the Missouri and Kansas City area and the university will receive their biographies, pictures and stories.
“Overall, I think the Wish Wall will give everyone a sense of accomplishment for helping grant wishes,” said Cassie Dace, vice president of philanthropy and community service at Panhellenic.
The university will have an online donation page for friends and family to donate over the summer to keep fundraising efforts going year around. They plan to do this through a Make-A-Wish page and are working on getting it activated.
“The PHC and IFC philanthropies are an excellent platform to show the community that we are adding tremendous value to the UCM and Warrensburg communities, rather than just partying or any other negative connotations,” said Ross Dickneite, vice president of philanthropy. “This is probably the best opportunity we have to reach UCM students and the Warrensburg community.”