Roger Denker's legacy continues

By JASON KETZ
Sports Editor
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — During the past 23 years the UCM wrestling team has hosted the Roger Denker Open to honor the former head coach, but his legacy extends beyond the Multi.

PHOTO SUBMITTED BY UCM ARCHIVES Roger Denker was a part of the UCM campus for 30 years as a professor, head wrestling coach and an assistant football coach.
PHOTO SUBMITTED BY UCM ARCHIVES
Roger Denker was a part of the UCM campus
for 30 years as a professor, head wrestling
coach and an assistant football coach.

As the head wrestling coach from 1963 to 1981, Denker led the Mules to seven MIAA conference titles in addition to three MIAA Coach of the Year honors. During his 17 seasons as wrestling coach, Denker helped guide the team to six top 20 finishes at the national tournament; including 10 All- Americans and 163 national qualifiers.

While at UCM not only was Denker the head wrestling coach but he also served as an assistant football coach from 1963 to 1972, and served as athletic director for the 1980 academic year. He was also a professor in the physical education department where he retired in 1993 as professor emeritus.

Over his coaching career, Denker was able to not only impact the careers of his wrestlers but also the next generation of athletes as countless of his former wrestlers became coaches including Mike Hagerty, Jimmy May and Gary Mayabb.

“I would probably not be where I am today without Denker especially helping me get my degree from (CMSU),” May said. “Denker is the one that taught me that we were here for more than just wrestling and that there is a bigger picture than just the sport of wrestling.”

Jimmy May wrestled for Denker from 1975-1977 where became a two-time MIAA champion and national qualifier at 126 pounds in his two seasons.

After his wrestling career was complete, May became a successful high school coach. While serving for 31 years he was a coach, teacher, athletic director, and dean. He led Eldorado High School to 18 regional championships and 10 straight 4A Nevada state team titles. May then moved on to the collegiate ranks where he was the first head coach at Baker University and is now the inaugural coach at Kansas-Wesleyan University.

Mike Hagerty, a 2015 inductee into the UCM Hall of Fame wrestled for Denker from 1975-1981, was a graduate assistant coach in 1982, and then became head coach of the program from 1983 to 1990.

“My first real issue I had was when I was being recruited by him,” Hagerty said. “I called Coach Denker and asked him if I could come down to UCM, and he said to bring my golf clubs.”

After a round of golf where Hagerty played with Denker and former Mules baseball coach Bob Tompkins, it was time for Hagerty to commit to the program.

After the group was done golfing, Hagerty wanted to talk to his dad before signing but Denker was persistent and told him that if he didn’t sign that he would have to pay his own green fees for the round of golf.

It turned out to be a great recruiting effort for Denker as Hagerty became an MIAA champion and national qualifier in 1980 as a 118 pound wrestler. Hagerty said his coaching career might not have happened without Denker’s influence.

“I was asked by Denker to help coach a high school clinic at (UCM) and Denker told me that I was really good at coaching kids,” Hagerty said. “I honestly hadn’t really thought about coaching. In fact, I was probably heading down the path of not coaching, but after Denker told me that I was good, it really weighed on me that this is something I can be successful at.”

After just one year as the graduate assistant, Hagerty was hired as the head wrestling coach at UCM in 1983 and Denker was his biggest supporter.

“Denker had the confidence in me to be the head coach even though I was only 23 years old, to coach college athletes,” Hagerty said. “I really felt like I was just naive enough and had the presence from what Coach Denker had taught me to do the job.”

As head coach of the Mules, Hagerty won 67 dual meets, which is third all time, and coached seven All-Americans, including the second national champion in program history Mark Burrell in 1989. Today, Hagerty is a gold-level coach certified through USA wrestling and is the head wrestling coach at Blue Springs High School where he has led the Wildcats to three Missouri Class 4 state team titles.

One of Denker and Hagerty’s wrestlers was Gary Mayabb, a wrestler for Denker from 1978 to 1981. Followed by Hagerty’s first year as head coach in 1983, where Mayabb was a national qualifier. Mayabb’s first thoughts of Denker are about his professionalism.

“Professional…the guy was a constant professional,” Mayabb said. “When you were under his tutelage, you had to raise your standards.”

Mayabb also mentioned how much of an influence Denker has had on his career as a teacher and coach.

“It’s crazy that (Denker) is one of three coaches I had to be inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame,” Mayabb said, “I still use some things that I learned from (Denker) like having itineraries for trips and the ability to control the intensity practices.”

Mayabb also added remarks on a more personal note about the lasting impact Denker has had on his life.

“I call him every Father’s Day,” Mayabb said. “He became a father figure for me, and is still one of those people who can influence my actions toward a positive way.”

Mayabb has been a teacher and coach in the Kansas City area for more than 30 years where he is also a gold-level certified coach through USA wrestling. Mayabb was the longtime head coach at Oak Park High School where he led the Northmen to six team state championships, including five in a row before taking over the program at Staley High School in 2008.

These are just three of countless former wrestlers of Denker’s that have gone on to successful coaching careers.

Following his retirement, Denker has been inducted into several Hall of Fames including the Missouri Wrestling Coaches’ in 1994, UCM Athletics’ in 2001 and the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in 2003. Denker is the holder of most dual wins as a coach in program history with 143. Denker lives in Hot Springs, Arkansas, with his wife Constance and their three children, sons Jay and Kel, and daughter Michele.