Homecoming profile: Meet Emily Bergsieker

Emily Bergsieker
Emily Bergsieker

By BETHANY SHERROW
Assistant News Editor
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — Staying busy, working long hours and knowing the ins and outs of campus pretty much summarizes the life of the assistant director of Student Activities.

Emily Bergsieker
Emily Bergsieker

Emily Bergsieker said she has always been busy since she spent her childhood days living on a farm.
Bergsieker hails from Waverly, Missouri, a small, rural town with a population of less than 900 people. Growing up on a farm meant she worked with her family on a daily basis.
“I grew up on a farm, so a lot of my friends would say in the summer they didn’t know if I was still alive because they never saw me,” Bergsieker said. “I grew up hardworking and having high values of work ethic.”
Whether it is working on the farm or in an organization, Bergsieker said staying busy and working hard are values that she still finds important.
“I feel that what we do here, whether it’s Spotlight or (the Student Government Association) or whatever, can help students become leaders and become who they really want to be.”
Bergsieker said she looks forward to homecoming as a time of celebration on campus.
“I don’t know if there are any (homecomings) that I haven’t been part of in some way or another,” she said. “It’s just such a fun time. I think campus comes alive at homecoming. I really wish that school spirit that we have during homecoming would shine at other times of the year.”
Bergsieker might even get the chance to catch up with some students from the past at homecoming.
“There are some students that when they come back into town, they make sure they call or let me know that they’re coming in, and we’ll meet up,” Bergsieker said.
Bergsieker said she has roots in Warrensburg. She likes where she is at because she is close enough to family, and her work is rewarding.
“My family is most important,” she said. “My work and my job is very important to me because of my work ethic. I think if I’m going to do a job, I want to do it right. To me, doing my job to the best of my ability is very important.”
She said her professional journey really started at UCM and that she has plans for it to continue at UCM and in Warrensburg.
“I just can’t see myself doing anything else.”