Turnovers costly for Tigers against St. Pius

By JASON STRICKLAND (KANSAS CITY, Mo., digitalBURG) – Seven turnovers killed the Warrensburg Tigers (0-7) Friday night, as they lost 28-10 at St. Pius X (1-6).
The Tigers scored on the opening drive of the game, as Brett Marr threw a 41-yard touchdown to Anthony Briscoe. It was Warrensburg’s second lead of the season.
It was all Warriors after that. A Pius punt on its first drive of the game bounced off Tigers wide receiver John Kuhn, and the ball was recovered by the Warriors at the Warrensburg 15-yard line.
On the ensuing drive, Pius got on the scoreboard off a 2-yard touchdown run by running back Nick Kelliher to make it 7-7 with 2:48 left in the first quarter.
Warrensburg forced a punt for Pius after Marr threw his first of two interceptions, but Brad Cox muffed the punt, which was recovered by the Warriors at the Warrensburg 25-yard line.
Pius took advantage of the turnover, as it scored off a 3-yard touchdown run by quarterback Grant Gavin to make it 14-7 Warriors with 9:46 left in the first half.
The Tigers’ third turnover came on their next drive as running back Zach Nowlin fumbled at the Pius 46-yard line, but Warrensburg was able to force a punt on the drive.
The Tigers punted on the ensuing drive, but they were able to get the ball back as a bad snap by Pius allowed Ty Larsen to jump on the football at their own 32-yard line.
However, Warrensburg was unable to capitalize on the turnover and punted. The next Tigers’ drive started at the Pius 25-yard line, as Briscoe was able to get a nice punt return.
It allowed Warrensburg to get its second score of the game, as Nowlin made a 20-yard field goal to make the halftime score 14-10 Pius.
The second half was all Warriors, as it got into the end zone twice off a 9-yard pass from
Gavin to Kyle Deters, and a 2-yard run by Gavin.
The final three turnovers for the Tigers were a Marr interception, a Briscoe fumble and a turnover on downs.
The bright spot for Warrensburg was Briscoe, as he had 10 catches for 127 yards and a touchdown. Marr ended up with 190 yards off 18-for-33 passing, along with a touchdown and two interceptions.
Gavin was the key for the Warriors as he threw for 95 yards off 11-for-21 passing and a touchdown. He added 50 yards rushing off eight carries and two touchdowns.
Kelliher added 66 yards rushing off 20 carries, along with a touchdown.
The Tigers will travel to Clinton (6-1) take on the Cardinals next Friday for a West Central Conference matchup.

[email_link]