One-act plays open this week in the BlackBox Theatre

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – Studio theatre one-act plays open this week with three productions.
The one-act plays are sponsored by the University of Central Missouri’s Department of Theatre and Dance and are directed, designed and performed by UCM students. The one-acts performed will be “The Midlife Crisis of Dionysus” by Garrison Keillor, “Wildwood Park” by Doug Wright, and “Pvt. Wars” by James McLure. The performances will take place March 10, 11, and 12 in the BlackBox Theatre, located on the first floor of Nickerson Hall.
Admission for the performances is $1 admission and are open to the public. Doors will open at 7 p.m. and the show will begin at 7:30 p.m. Due to limited seating, arriving at least 30 minutes prior to the beginning of the show is strongly encouraged, according to a news release. Children under the age of 5 will not be admitted to the shows.
“The Midlife Crisis of Dionysus” by Garrison Keillor, directed by Dain O’Connor with Arista Fleming as technical director, is a parody on well-known tragedies and mythologies of ancient Greece. Dionysus, the god of wine, is suddenly 50 years old and after millennia of immortality the god must navigate the perils of aging. The cast includes Dillon Heginbottom as Dionysus, Lisa Fiori as Ariadne, Akilah Bryan as Gladys, Nina Lopez as Nymph and Ben Maier as Guy.
“Wildwood Park” by Doug Wright, directed by Dalton Pierce with Taylor Jennings as technical director, is set in an 8,000-square-foot mansion where a bad thing has happened, tucked away in an exclusive suburban village where a real estate agent is trying to sell the place to an eccentric potential buyer. The cast includes Carter Higgs as Dr. Simian and Jackie Aufderheide as Ms. Haviland.
“Pvt. Wars” by James McLure, directed by Mark Jacobsen with Katie Turnbow as technical director, centers around three damaged and recovering patients in a veterans hospital. All three received wounds in the war but not all of their wounds are just physical. The cast includes Gabe Livingston as Silvio, James Hanten as Gately and Dalton Pittinger as Natwick.
For more information, contact the theatre department at 660-543-4020.