Jennies crowned MIAA champions, Mules 2nd

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – For the first time since 2007, the USTFCCCA No. 2 ranked UCM Jennies indoor track and field team has been crowned the MIAA Champions. They totaled 159 points, to better second-place Lincoln by 17 points. The 159 points, is the most for the Jennies at the MIAA Indoor Championships under coaches Kip Janvrin and Kirk Pedersen.
2015 marks the Jennies eighth MIAA title, breaking a tie for the most MIAA Championships won.
The No. 8 Mules captured second place with 108 points, narrowly edging out third-place Nebraska-Kearney with 105 points. Pittsburg State repeated as champions with 120 points.
Erika Kinsey claimed her second and third MIAA Championships on day three. First, she won the high jump with a mark of 5′ 11.5″. Then she took home the long jump, jumping 19′ 8.75. She also won the triple jump on Saturday. Kinsey’s 30 points scored for the Jennies earned her the MIAA High Point Award.
UCM ripped through the field events with winners in five of the six on day three. Heavin Warner claimed her second of the championships in the shot put, throwing 47′ 8.5″. Haley Heuer finished fourth for the Jennies with a mark of 44′ 7″.
Cole Phillips was the winner of the men’s pole vault. He jumped 16′ 9.25″ to claim his first indoor MIAA title. Also taking home the gold for the Mules was Caniggia Raynor in the weight throw. He threw a personal-best 67′ 8″ to improve on his second-best all-time mark at UCM. Jace Kaleikau also scored for the Mules, he threw a personal-best 55′ 6.5″ to place fifth.
George Charalambous placed sixth in the long jump to score for the Mules. He jumped 22′ 11.75″.
On the track UCM had two first place finishes. For the Mules, Kellin Loch claimed the title in the men’s 800m run. He ran a 1:53.00 to take home the gold. Kailey Fuchs was a winner for the Jennies in the 600 yard run. She crossed the line in 1:24.98 for the win.
Both the Mules and Jennies distance teams took home medals.  Adam Tredway finished in second place in the men’s mile in 4:13.78 and Megan Glamann was third in the women’s 3,000m run in 10:00.63, a personal-best and second-best mark all-time at UCM. Glamann also scored for the Jennies on day two, taking fifth place in the 5,000m run. She completed the race in 17:50.30. The Jennies DMR team finished in sixth place in 12:51.05.
Three Jennies scored in the 60m hurdles. Zoe Sharplin earned a medal with her second place finish in 8.56 seconds, a new PR and betters her No. 2 all-time mark at UCM. Victoria Jackson also ran a PR and finished fourth in 8.73 seconds, the seventh best in UCM history. Madison Smith took sixth place in 8.83 seconds. She also finished second in the high jump, jumping 5′ 9.25″.
In the men’s 60m hurdles, Joseph Holland took fifth place with a personal-best time of 8.20 seconds.
Osvaldo Granillo placed second in the men’s 400m dash. He finished the quarter-mile in 48.63 seconds.
Jacob Randle was another medalist for the Mules. He was the team’s top finisher in the 600 yard run placing second in 1:13.59. Shane McCarthy (1:15.28) and Corbin Lowe (1:15.30) finished in sixth and seventh places respectively. Katie Cassidy also scored for the Jennies in the event. She placed fourth in 1:27.13.
The Jennies 4×440 yard relay team finished in fourth place with a time of 3:55.86.
On day two, The night closed out with the distance medley relay, which the Mules took in 10:15.65 to be crowned MIAA Champions. The team of Loch, Marquis JonesTyler Banks and Adam Tredway also set a new meet record in the process.
Three Jennies champions were from field events. Kinsey, the D2 leader in the triple jump, took the event with a jump of 41′ 3.75″. Warner also won the weight throw, hitting 64′ 10.5″ to repeat as MIAA Champion. Brittany Kallenberger secured her first MIAA Championship in the pole vault, jumping 12′ 7.5″.
On the men’s side, two student-athletes made the medal podium by placing third. In the triple jump, Nick Ramirez had a PR jump of 48′ 5.5″. Jacob Mahin also finished third in the shot put, throwing 53′ 6.25″. Both were provisional qualifying marks.
The men’s heptathlon also concluded on day two. Blake Seitz finished in fourth place with a score of 5216 points. His PR time is a provisional qualifier and the fifth-best in UCM history.
In the high jump, Seitz and George Charalambous scored points for the Mules. They both jumped 6′ 6″ to finish fifth and sixth respectively based on number of attempts.
UCM will now look ahead to the NCAA Division II meet, March 13-14 in Birmingham, Ala. The Jennies have been ranked first or second all five weeks of the regular season and the Mules have been in the top-10 in four of the five weeks.