Sharplin wins pentathlon on day 1 of MIAA Championships

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – On the first day of the MIAA Championships, UCM already has a conference champion crowned. Junior Zoe Sharplin took home the win in the pentathlon with 3831 points, the fifth best mark in school history.
Sharplin finished in the top-three in four of the five events and won two of them. She was the individual winner of the high jump (5′ 7″) and shot put (40′ 1.25″). She also finished second in the 60m hurdles (8.66) and third in the long jump (18′ 1″).
In addition to Sharplin, the Jennies had three other top-five finishes in the event. Madison Smith (3796) finished second, Katie Cassidy (3527) finished fourth and Victoria Jackson (3523) finished fifth. All three won at least one individual event as Smith won the 60m hurdles (8.65), Cassidy won the 800m (2:18.81) and Jackson tied Sharplin for the win in the shot put (40′ 1.25″). Smith and Jackson also tied for the win in the long jump (18′ 3″).
The four top-five finishes are a great start for the Jennies as they jump out of the gates with 27 points from the one event.
The men’s multi-event athletes also got underway Friday evening. The first four events of the men’s heptathlon took place. Like the Jennies, the Mules have two sitting in the top-three. Tyler Chancellor is leading the field with 3073 points and Blake Seitz is third with 2979 points.
Seitz won the high jump event (6′ 6.25″) while Chancellor won the shot put (47′ 0.25″).