Mules run away from Missouri Southern 35-10

By JESSI GERHARDS (WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) –
The University of Central Missouri Mules added another game to the win column after defeating the Missouri Southern Lions 35-10 Saturday.
The Mules started off hot with junior quarterback Colter Smith hooking up with sophomore running back LaVance Taylor for a 10-yard touchdown run.
It didn’t take long for Missouri Southern to respond. Senior quarterback Kellen Cox found senior wide receiver Landon Zerkel all alone for a 63-yard touchdown pass. The game was tied 7-7 early in the first quarter.
The UCM offense took the lead back shortly after with Smith throwing a 77-yard touchdown pass to junior wide receiver Ronrei Lloyd.
The Lions’ kicker, senior Dallas Herndon, kicked a 23-yard field goal and ended the first quarter 14-10. This was the last time the Lions would put points on the board. The UCM defense shut down the MSSU offense for three full quarters.
The Mules scored one touchdown in the second quarter with a 3-yard run by Taylor, raising the score 21-10 over MSSU.
The third quarter was similar to the second, full of three-and-outs by both teams. UCM finally scored late in the quarter with another pass from Smith to Llyod for a 16-yard scoring pass. The score was 28-10 going into the fourth quarter for the Mules.
The Mules sealed the deal by scoring one last time in the fourth quarter. Sophomore running back Corey Washington ran 6 yards for a touchdown, giving the Mules the win with a final score of 35-10.
Offensively, Smith was 20-of-33 for 299 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. Lloyd had a career day with eight catches for 197 yards and two touchdowns. Overall, the UCM offense rushed 24 times for 103 yards and three touchdowns.
Defensively, the Mules dominated the Lions. Senior free safety Patrick Lewis led the team in tackles with 12. Junior linebacker Zach Quines was right behind Lewis with 11 stops, including three for a loss and a sack. Overall, the Mules’ defense had nine tackles for a loss, three sacks and three interceptions. UCM forced a total of five Lions turnovers.
Next week, UCM travels to Pittsburg, Kan., to take on the No. 1 ranked Pitt Sate Gorillas. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m.

[email_link]