No. 25 Mules hold off Missouri Western in St. Joseph

(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) — The 25th-ranked Mules got back in the win colum with a 64-58 win over Missouri Western on Wednesday night at the MWSU Fieldhouse. The Mules move to 14-3 overall and 5-3 in MIAA play with the win.
The game was close in the early going with the Mules leading by four early on, but the Griffons (7-8, 3-5 MIAA) fighting back. UCM opened up a five point lead at 13-8 with 9:47 to play in the half. The Mules pushed the lead to eight at 21-13 with 5:41 to play.
The Griffons responded with a 10-0 run to take the lead 23-21 with 1:33 remaining in the opening stanza. Preston Brunz gave the Mules the lead back with a three-pointer and following a Griffon layup he drilled another three at the buzzer to give UCM a 27-25 halftime lead.
The Mules opened the second half on a 6-0 run to grab a 35-27 lead and force a Missouri Western timeout. The lead was still eight at 40-32 with 12:05 to play in the game when the Griffons went on an 8-1 run to pull within one at 41-40 with 8:44 left.
A 9-0 run by the Mules pushed the lead back to 10 at 50-40 with 5:47 to play. The lead stuck around double digits and reached 11 with 2:41 to play at 56-45. MWSU got to within five at the :50 mark, but the Mules made 5-of-6 at the free throw line to ice the game and come out with the six-point win.
TJ White led three Mules in double figures with 14 points to go along with seven rebounds and three steals. Brunz had 13 points and Brennen Hughes finished with 12. Kyle Wolf had eight points and nine rebounds as well.
UCM shot 42 percent for the game, 20-of-48, but just 29 percent from beyond the arc going 4-of-14. The Mules were 20-of-34 at the foul line for 59 percent.
Cortrez Colbert led Missouri Western with a game-high 20 points on 7-of-11 shooting. Aaron Emmanuel finished with 15. The Griffons were 23-of-47 from the field for 49 percent, but just 4-of-18 from beyond the arc for 22 percent. MWSU was 8-of-19 at the charity stripe for 42 percent.
The Mules out-rebounded MWSU 38-28 and held a 12-2 advantage in second chance points.
UCM is back home on Saturday afternoon hosting first place Northwest Missouri at 3:30 p.m. at the Multi. The game can be heard live on 1450 KOKO, 98.5 The Bar and warrensburgradio.com with Greg Hassler on the call. A pay-per-view webcast is also available through UCM’s Stretch Internet portal at portal.stretchinternet.com/ucmo/