State Fair still accepting contest entries

(SEDALIA, Mo.) – Several competitions at this year’s Missouri State Fair are still accepting entries. Many contests require preregistration but some accept contestants on-the-spot, including two new contests being offered for children.
Contestants for Missouri State Fair Queen must submit their entry forms by July 15. Contestants in the Missouri Junior 50 art competition have a deadline of July 21. Bakers wanting to enter recipes in the First Lady’s Pie Contest, sponsored by AgriMissouri and Starline Brass, have until Aug. 1 to submit their entry forms.
Most entries in Home Economics must be submitted by July 21. A variety of new contests are available this year, including Missouri Beef Council Ground Beef Recipe Contest at 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 9; “Harvest the Fun!” Fresh Vegetable Salad Contest at 10 a.m. Monday, Aug 11, sponsored by Starline Brass and Sierra; and “Harvest the Fun!” Fresh Fruit Salad Contest at 2 p.m. Tuesday, Aug 12, sponsored by Bell Catering.
Two new contests are being offered this year for children, the Largest Homegrown Tomato Contest and the Fun on the Farm Poster Contest. The rules for these, and other special on-the-spot contests, are available at www.mostatefair.com/special-contests.
“We are very excited to involve more children in the Missouri State Fair this year,” said Missouri State Fair Director Mark Wolfe. “We believe that by including them at an early age, we can help to foster participation in years to come.”
Entries in the tomato contest will be accepted in one age division, 3-12 years old, between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 16, in the AgriMissouri Tent located south of the Agriculture Building. Judging will be based on the weight of the tomato.
Entries in the poster contest will be accepted in two age divisions, 5-8 years old and 9-12 years old, between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 16, in the Fine Arts Building. Judging will be based on theme, creativity and adherence to rule specifications.
A complete list of entry deadlines, competition rules and entry forms are available in the Online Premium Guide on the fair’s website. Entry, camping and vendor input forms, including credit card information, may be faxed to 660-827-8169 or 8160, or mailed to Missouri State Fair Entries, 2503 W. 16th St., Sedalia, MO, 65301.
The 112th Missouri State Fair will take place Aug. 7-17 in Sedalia. For more information about competitions or camping, visit www.mostatefair.com, follow the Fair on Facebook and Twitter, or call 1-800-422-FAIR (3247).