UCM grad headed to Miss America pageant

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – A University of Central Missouri alumna was recently named Miss Kansas and is now headed for the Miss America pageant in September.

Amanda Sasek
Amanda Sasek

Amanda Sasek was crowned by Miss Kansas 2013 Theresa Vail Saturday evening at Pratt Community College in Pratt, Kansas. She was one of 31 women from across the state vying for the title, according to a news release.
She qualified for the Miss Kansas pageant by winning the Miss Greater Wichita contest earlier this year. She also was crowned Miss Heartland in 2013 and Miss Midland Empire in 2012.
A native of Moberly, Missouri, Sasek received a bachelor’s degree in political science from UCM in May 2013, and she is now a graduate student at the University of Kansas. While at UCM, Sasek was named the female recipient of the Charno Award. This award is presented each year to the outstanding male and female members of the graduating class.
She was active in student government and the university Greek community, College Democrats and Students for Political Action. She represented UCM at the Sue Shear Institute for Women in Public Life and the National Conference on Ethics in America at West Point. Sasek’s achievements at UCM were accomplished while she held down four part-time jobs.
As the winner of the Miss Kansas title, Sasek will receive a $5,000 scholarship.