Entrepreneurship camp coming to UCM

By ALYSSA CLIFTON
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) – The Blaine Whitworth Foundation and the University of Central Missouri Small Business and Technology Development Center are working together to host an entrepreneurship camp for students ages 12-17.
Whitworth was a local business owner who was shot and killed Sept. 1, 2013. In honor of Blaine’s memory, his parents, Diane and Barry Whitworth, established a fund to support the camp for entrepreneurship, local youth recreation and homeless needs.
The camp will take place at the University of Central Missouri from June 23-27.
The main purpose of this camp is “to show these students the opportunity of entrepreneurship and explain what it is,” said Brandon Banks, the camp creator and instructor.
The camp features a variety of workshops on establishing an obtainable idea or goal, and then giving students the skills, resources and knowledge to launch those ideas.
The Blaine Whitworth Foundation is providing 20 scholarships worth $300 each for the 20 people who are accepted to join the camp.
The cost of the camp is $400, which includes meals, housing, entertainment and camp materials. The applications are due June 1 at the Small Business and Technology Development Center. Those who are accepted into the program will be announced on June 5.
The camp will have lessons and seminars on how to create a business, tips and tricks to a successful business, advertising for your business and more. Local businesses and business owners will help educate students at the camp.
For more information, contact Darrell Brammer, SBTDC director, at [email protected].