Mules Baseball splits MIAA doubleheader at Northeastern State

(TAHLEQUAH, Okla.) — The Central Missouri Mules won the opening game of their MIAA doubleheader with Northeastern State on Thursday, but couldn’t hold the lead in game two as they split the conference twinbill at Rousey Field. The Mules won the opener 3-1 before NSU rallied for a 5-4 win in the nightcap.
UCM (7-6, 4-2 MIAA) took a 1-0 lead in the fourth inning of the first game on Tucker Cross‘ sacrifice fly. The RiverHawks (4-7, 1-5 MIAA) tied the game in the bottom half on Cody Robinson’s solo home run, one of three on the day for him.
The Mules went back in front 2-1 in the sixth on Matt Molbury‘s RBI single to centerfield. Central Missouri tacked on another run in the seventh on Kevin Gratza‘s RBI single.
Jake Heissler (3-1) picked up the win for UCM allowing one run on five hits in 6.2 innings. He didn’t walk a batter and struck out eight. Zach Davis recorded the final out of the game with two runners on to earn his second save of the season.
Bryce Davenport (0-1) took the loss for Northeastern State allowing one run in one third of an inning.
The Mules jumped on top 1-0 in the first inning of game two when Barrett Noirfalise‘s RBI groundout scored Trevor Jones. Brad Wilson singled home Brad Jelinek in the third inning to make it 2-0 UCM and Jones’ RBI fielder’s choice in the fourth made it 3-0.
The RiverHawks got a run back in the bottom of the fourth when Robinson led off the inning with his second home run of the day. Robinson gave NSU a 5-3 lead in the fifth when he blasted a three-run home run to left center.
The Mules got a run back in the sixth on Jones’ RBI triple to pull within 5-4, but he was stranded at third to end the inning. UCM got a runner in scoring position with one out in the seventh, but couldn’t push across the tying run.
Grant Gavin (0-1) took the loss for UCM after giving up two runs on one hit in 1.2 innings of relief. Starter Kurtis Schuyler allowed three runs on six hits in 4.1 innings. The duo combined for just one walk and eight strikeouts.
Bobby Sehgal (1-0) earned the win for NSU allowing two runs on two hits in 3.0 innings of relief. Seth Hudson picked up his third save of the season pitching the final inning and a third.
The series continues on Friday with a single nine-inning game scheduled for a 2 p.m. start.