Strong second half pushes Mules basketball past Baker

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) — The Central Missouri Mules used a big second half to break open a close game and beat Baker 87-59 on Saturday night at the UCM Multipurpose Building. The win improves UCM’s record to 4-0 on the season.
Baker (2-2) jumped out to an early 6-2 less than three minutes into the game. The Mules rallied to tie the game at 10-10, but the Wildcats went back in front by a pair on two Javeion Gray free throws. A layup from Dillon Deck tied the game at 14 and TJ White‘s bucket put UCM in front for the first time at 16-14.
After Baker tied the game, Jordan Epps hit to free throws to give UCM the lead and White’s layup gave UCM a 20-17 lead with 9:32 left in the half. BU cut the lead back to one, but four quick points by the Mules pushed the lead back to five at 26-21. The lead grew to seven, but a 5-0 Baker run brought it to a two-point game with just over two minutes left in the half. UCM closed the opening stanza on a 7-2 run and led 37-30 at the intermission.
Central Missouri came out firing in the second half opening the period on a 14-0 run to stretch the lead to 51-30 just over three minutes in. The Mules slowly increased the lead throughout the half stretching it to 24 midway through the stanza. The Wildcats were never able to get closer than 24 the rest of the way.Ryan Donald hit a pair of free throws with under a minute to play to give the Mules their largest lead of the night at 87-57.
Central Missouri shot 54 percent in the game, going 31 of 57 from the field, but just 3 of 17 from three point range. The Mules were 22 of 33 at the foul line for 67 percent and out-rebounded the Wildcats 44-22.
UCM was led in scoring by Donald and Epps with 13 points apiece. Ryan Magdziarz finished with 11 points and Daylen Robinson had a game-high seven rebounds to go along with seven points and three assists.
Baker shot 38 percent from the floor, 19 of 50, including 4 of 10 from beyond the arc for 40 percent. The Wildcats mad 17 of 24 foul shots for 71 percent. BU was led in scoring by Gray and Todd Johnston with 11 points apiece.
Each team had 11 turnovers, but the Mules had seven blocked shots.
Central Missouri is back in action next Saturday, Nov. 23 when they travel to Quincy for a 7:30 p.m. tip-off. The game can be heard live on the new 44,000-watt 98.5 The Bar, 1450 KOKO and warrensburgradio.com.
Box Score