Jennies volleyball wins over Southwest Baptist for the second time this season

(BOLIVAR, Mo.) — Central Missouri faced Southwest Baptist for the second time this season on Friday in Bolivar, Mo. The Jennies beat the Bearcats 25-9, 25-12, 23-25, 25-19.
The Jennies (24-1, 10-1 MIAA) took a 5-0 lead to start the set, Maddie Jones with a kill and two blocks. The Bearcats (14-11, 4-8 MIAA) won two points before the Jennies scored four more points in a row to take a 9-2 lead. The Jennies maintained the lead through the set, and won five points in a row to finished the set at 25-9.
Central Missouri won three points to start the second set. Southwest Baptist was able to reach only three points before the Jennies had reached ten. Central Missouri maintained their lead through the set, finishing the set with four points in a row at 25-12. Haley ThompsonCarly SojkaTaylor Goodness and Jones all had three kills in the set.
The Bearcats kept the third set close, and took their first lead of the match at 4-3. Although there were eight tie scores in the third set, the Jennies were never able to take a lead over Southwest Baptist. The Jennies held the Bearcats to match point for three points before a service error by Sojka finished the set at 23-25. Sojka and Goodness both at five kills in the set, Julia Bates had 15 assists.
Southwest Baptist won the first three points of the set, but the Jennies caught them at 4-4 and took the lead for the remainder of the set. Bates finished the set with a kill. Bates had 13 assists, two kills, and a serving ace in the fourth set. Goodness had five kills, and hit .625 in the set.
Bates had 48 assists in the match, with four kills, two blocks, and a serving ace. Sojka had her fifth double-double of the season, with 11 kills and 11 digs. Goodness had the most kills on the team with 16 total kills, and hit .361 through the match. Thompson had eight kills, and two blocks in the match. Jones had 10 kills, with a .320 hitting percentage, and three blocks in the match. Becca Blaise had seven kills in the match with 19 digs and a block. Annie Reilly had 21 digs and five serving aces in four sets.Courtney Cornell had two serving aces in the match. Mikalee Monachino had 19 digs.
The Jennies return home tomorrow for a match against Lindenwood at 3 p.m. in the UCM Multipurpose Building.