Jennies sweep first day of Missouri Southern Invitational Crossover

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) — The Central Missouri Jennies (19-0, 6-0 MIAA) swept both of their matches Friday, holding their opponents to under twenty points in a set, while competing in the Missouri Southern Invitational Crossover, in Joplin, Mo, according to a press release. First the Jennies took on Arkansas Tech (12-6, 4-2 GAC), beating the Golden Suns, 25-11, 25-17, 25-17. In their second match of the evening the Jennies defeated Southwestern Oklahoma, again in three sets, 25-15, 25-14, 25-18.
In the first set of the Arkansas Tech match the Jennies held the Golden Suns to under ten points for a majority of the set. The Jennies gave up two points at the start of the set, before winning ten of twelve points, leading Arkansas Tech 10-4. Becca Blaise  contributed three kills and Haley Thompson two kills in the to the Jennies first ten points. The Jennies won another five points in a row to take the score to 20-9, with a service ace from Annie Reilly and a kill from Carly Sojka and Thompson. Central Missouri won the last four points of the set consecutively, with two kills from Sojka, and one kill from Taylor Goodness and Thompson, to finish the set at 25-11. Thompson had six kills, and Sojka had five kills in the first set.
The Golden Suns again took the lead in the start of the set, the Jennies finally catching Arkansas Tech at 10-10, and maintaining the lead for the rest of the set, with a service ace by Blaise. The Golden Suns were able to keep the set close, until the Jennies won four points at 19-13, to bring the score to 22-13. The Golden Suns were not able to close the gap, and the final point of the match was registered with a kill by Sojka.  Thompson, Sojka, and Maddie Jones all finished the second set with three kills.
In the final set of the match the Jennies won the first point in a set for the first time, with a kill from Goodness. Central Missouri went on to win the next six of seven points, Julia Bates with two service aces and a kill. Central Missouri won three and two points at a time, with Arkansas Tech slowing chipping away at the Jennies lead. The Jennies won the final four points of the set in a row, with a kill from Thompson, Sojka and Blaise each.
The Jennies hit .464 in the match against Arkansas Tech, totaling 44 kills, seven serving aces, and nine blocks. Sojka finished the match with 12 kills and four blocks, Thompson had 11 kills and three blocks. Bates had 36 assists, and two serving aces in the match.
In the second match against Southwestern Oklahoma, the Bulldogs lead the Jennies through the first five points of the match, tying the score at 3-3. The Jennies didn’t give up the lead for the rest of the match, winning the following three points with a kill from Sojka, and two from Blaise. The Jennies stretched their five point lead to a nine point lead at 19-10. Kills by Sojka won the Jennies their last two points of the set.  Goodness and Blaise both had four kills in the set, and Thompson and Sojka had three each.
The second set of the match the Jennies tied the Bulldogs at 3-3, and won three additional points, to take the score to 6-4. The Jennies won four more points to the Bulldogs three points to make the score 10-7, when the Jennies won eight consecutive points. Blaise, Sojka, and Bates each earning two of the eight points. The Bulldogs were able to score seven more points before Blaise ended the set with a kill. Bates, Sojka, and Goodness all had three kills in the set. Blaise and Goodness also had three block each.
In the third and final set of the night, Southwestern Oklahoma had the lead at the start of the match, but Central Missouri quickly caught them at 5-5. The Jennies went on to win five more points, and take a four point leas over the Bulldogs, Mackenzie Harding with her fourth kill of the season. The Bulldogs were able to win six of eight points towards the end of the match, narrowing the Jennies lead to 22-18, before a kill by Goodness, and a service ace followed by a Bulldogs attack error ended the match at 25-18. Eight of ten attacks by Goodness were converted to kills, for a .700 hitting percentage in the final set.
Goodness had 15 kills total in the match, a .522 hitting percentage, and four blocks. Bates had 37 assists, a serving aces ,and three kills. Sojka had nine kills, eight digs, and a block.