Jennies volleyball still unbeaten, move up in AVCA poll

The Jennies finish the Peggy Martin with their undefeated record intact. Central Missouri beat both the University of Minnesota-Moorhead Dragons and the University of Colorado-Colorado Springs Lions Saturday to bring their record to 9-0. Taylor Goodness had finished the tournament with 62 total kills, 27 total kills from the matches Friday and Saturday.
The Jennies won the first set against Minnesota-Moorhead, 25-16.  Central Missouri led the Dragons the entire first set, but took a significant lead after winning four point in a row, to make the score 15-10. The Jennies maintained their four point lead, and eventually widening the gap to nine points, at 22-13. The final point of the set came from Carly Sojka, her second kill of the set.
Set two began with the Jennies winning the first eight of ten points. That lead kept the Jennies ahead for the rest of the set. The closest Moorhead came to catching the Jennies was at 18-15, after winning three points in a row. The Jennies finished the second set with a six point lead, 25-19.
The third set held a first for the Jennies this season, a loss. Central Missouri came out strong, and led the Dragons, until Moorhead won nine of eleven points at 14-12, to take the lead at 16-22. The Jennies came close to regaining their lead at 23-34, before a serving error from Annie Reilly finished the match, and Moorhead handed Central their first set loss of the season, after a 23-set streak.
In the fourth and final set of the match the Jennies made it clear they would not lose again early. Central Missouri took the lead 6-0 to start, and won fifteen of the first twenty points. In their fifteen points Courtney Cornell had two serving aces, Goodness had four Haley Thompson had two kills. The Dragons made a small comeback, before finishing the match for themselves with a serving ace, Central winning 25-18.
In the final match of the Peggy Martin Challenge, Central Missouri held Colorado Springs to under 15 points in each set, winning 25-14, 25-15, 25-14. Colorado Springs took an early lead in the set, but Central Missouri quickly caught up, and never looked back. The Jennies drove in the final seven points of the match uncontested.
In the second set of the match Central Missouri this time took the early lead, and put some distance between the scores, 9-3. Colorado-Springs never came close to catching the Jennies, and at 21-15 the Jennies drove in the final four points of the set, two of which were serving aces by Reilly, to seal the fate of the set.
In the final set of the evening Colorado kept the game close, almost catching the Jennies at 14-11. Central Missouri went on to with the final eight of nine points of the match, and add another win to their undefeated record. Thompson, Sojka, and Goodness all had nine kills in the match. Julia Bates ended the match with 32 assists, after earing 42 in the match against Moorhead. Reilly finished the game with five serving aces and sixteen digs.
Goodness was named the MVP of the 2013 Peggy Martin Challenge. Bates, Sojka, and Reilly were also named to the team. The rest of the team consisted of Jordan Banich (University of Colorado-Colorado Springs), Angi Kent (Ferris State), Jordan Rehm  (Pittsburg State), Crystal Whitten (Pittsburg State) Kaitlin VanWinkle  (Minnesota State-Moorhead), and Maggie Gruber  (Minnesota State-Moorhead).
The Jennies will face their first conference teams next week. Central Missouri will first face Missouri Southern on Tuesday, Sept. 17, and Southwest Baptist on Friday, Sept. 20, in Warrensburg before heading to St. Charles to face Lindenwood on Saturday Sept. 21.
Central Missouri moved up yet another place in this weeks AVCA Division II Coaches Poll to No. 6, after finishing the Peggy Martin Challenge at 9-0. The Jennies have moved up two places since the first AVCA Division II Coaches’ Poll earlier this month in which they were ranked No. 8, and were ranked No. 7 last week.
The Jennies are now the second-highest MIAA squad in the poll, behind No. 5 Nebraska-Kearney. Washburn are now ranked at No. 11, down from No. 5 last week, however no other MIAA teams were ranked. Concordia-St. Paul is back up to No. 2 from the No. 4 spot in this week’s poll, Tampa moving down to No. 3 from No. 1 in last weeks poll. Minnesota Duluth takes the top spot this week, moving up one spot from No. 2.
The Jennies are the only team in Division II to appear in the AVCA Coaches Poll every week since the poll began in 1986, making the top 25 for 344 consecutive weeks.