Police question 'person of interest' in homicide

(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — Police picked up a “person of interest” in Sedalia Tuesday evening for questioning in connection with the homicide of a Warrensburg business owner, according to a news release.
William “Blaine” Whitworth was shot and killed in his driveway Saturday in the 1000 block of Sunflower. Police responded to a call about shots fired in the area at 9:30 p.m. Police found Whitworth, 25, dead at the scene. Police confirmed that multiple shots were fired.
A total of 35 investigators with the Missouri Rural Major Case Squad met Tuesday morning to assist in the case. They followed 69 leads and are reconvening today, according to a news release from Warrensburg Police Chief Bruce Howey.
Police have not released the name of the person who was picked up at about 6:30 p.m. in Sedalia to be questioned.
Whitworth operated two bars in downtown Warrensburg, Molly’s at Holden and East Pine streets and Bodie’s on West Pine Street.
Nearly 870 people have responded to a post on Facebook to say they would attend a candlelight vigil at 9 p.m. tonight. The vigil is to begin at Molly’s with Whitworth’s mother, Diane Whitworth, lighting the first candle at 9:30 p.m.
Police ask that anyone with more information in the case should call the police department at 660-747-9133.
[email_link]