Giving back through creativity

Students and faculty give back to UCM through artistic creativity

University of Central Missouri students and faculty celebrated 2023 homecoming week through the Donation Creation contest on Oct. 17, organized by the Office of Student Activities. UCM organizations gathered donations of non-perishable food items to create a structure designed around the homecoming theme of ‘Peace, Love & Mules.’
Participating groups began building their creations at 10 a.m. to be completed by 3 p.m. the same day.

Each of these donations go to the UCM campus cupboard, said Makoto Narita from the Office of Student Activities.
“I see how many students rely on Campus Cupboard and… that is a great resource for them,” said Narita.
Assistant Director of Student Activities Volunteer Services, Kristie Brinkley said that each of the creations from the twelve participating organizations are judged and displayed.
“All twelve of [the creations] … stay up… through Thursday,” said Brinkley. “They are judged… after they’re built and then they go on display for two whole days until they’re picked up by our homecoming volunteers.”
Narita said that he contacted several people to judge the creations including a graduate assistant over Campus Cupboard, Kaylee Bohle.
Alpha Gamma Delta member, Tia Cassidy, said that her group, Alpha Gamma Delta with Tau Kappa Epsilon, used a combination of items to create a structure that incorporates the football game and the homecoming theme.
“We are making a football that has… a disco ball on top… and then there will also be some records on it,” said Cassidy. Cassidy went on to say that the creation was built from both canned and boxed non-perishable food items.
In a follow up correspondence, Cassidy said that her group donated 1,195 items total.
Not only did students participate in Donation Creation, but the staff of Ward Edwards also entered the contest and donated items.
Assistant Vice Provost for Graduate Studies, Drew Burkeybile, said that the Ward Edwards staff decided to enter donation creation after raising donations at other events in the past.
“We wanted a way… to continue donating to the Campus Cupboard so we thought we would participate in Donation Creation,” said Burkeybile.
Students from participating organizations said they participated in this event for multiple reasons. Sophomore member of Delta Zeta, Madisyn Lofar0, said that it is a way to promote homecoming and to give back to the community.
“We partner with a fraternity, so we do it for royalty but also to donate to the Campus Cupboard to help people that need food,” said Lofaro.
“Our Philanthropy in Alpha Gamma Delta is fighting hunger… so it is always to know that people on campus are going to be fed and it’s nice to know that I can be a part of that,” said Cassidy.
Brinkley said that the Office of Student Activities wants to collect goods for Campus Cupboard while also engaging the students in homecoming festivities.
“One of the important things for the university is education for service and so this is a great opportunity for students to get involved… and also having fun creating something for homecoming,” said Brinkley.